Assertiveness and How to Be a Better Manager
This course is suitable for all levels of seniority who want to learn the skills to become better managers and leaders. Delegates learn how to use different behaviours to deal assertively with colleagues, managers, suppliers and customers. They discover how to influence people and maintain a positive working relationship, even when someone challenges their opinion or disagrees with them.
The course is delivered over one day, from 9.30am - 4.30pm.
Topics covered will include:
- Course objectives and overview.
- Identifying what constitutes ‘assertiveness’ in a work environment.
Understanding your natural style
- Revealing if your natural communication style is helping or hindering you
- Knowing how and when to adapt your assertiveness style to really influence a challenging situation in the workplace.
- Exploring different ways to be assertive and influential in work situations.
- Using your body language and voice assertively to get people to listen to you and respect your opinion.
- Focusing your message and knowing what you want to achieve.
- Using positive language even when communicating messages people don’t want to hear.
- Finding a way to enthuse people by making your message positive even when they disagree with you.
Confidence and assertiveness
- Feeling comfortable and having confidence when presenting your opinion assertively to seniors.
- Overcoming shyness when speaking in front of a group at work meetings.
- Turning nerves or anxiety into positive traits that help, rather than hinder you when you need to be assertive.
Assertiveness in practice
- Saying ‘No’ assertively when a work colleague asks you to do something that will affect your other priorities.
- Using work meetings as a focus for adopting assertive behaviour.
- Dealing with conflict assertively and sensitively.
- Developing a personal assertiveness action plan focused specifically on your work responsibilities.
Further Information and Booking
If you're interested in this course, please contact us:
Business Partnerships, York College, Sim Balk Lane, York, YO23 2BB
Next Course Dates
The Trainer took great care to identify the specific needs of each person on the course (within the subject area of the course) and gave advice to each person to work towards their goals.