Your browser is unsupported and may have security vulnerabilities! Upgrade to a newer browser to experience this site in all it's glory.
Skip to main content
Getting in touch online
To report a student absence or late arrival to class,

Students should report their absence using the York College and Uni Centre app (this can be downloaded from the App Store or Google Play) or if you are unable to access the app then please contact the college using one of the methods below.

Live chat - as you explore our website you may see a chat icon in the bottom right corner of your screen if someone is available to live chat with you. You will be speaking with one of our advisors who will be able to help with your query or put you in direct contact with the relevant member of staff at the College.

Getting in touch by phone
  • Switchboard - 01904 770100
  • Admissions (general advice and guidance) - 01904 770770
  • Funding (advice and guidance) - 01904 770443
  • Finance - 01904 770495
Getting in touch by post

York College
Sim Balk Lane
YO23 2BB

Getting Here

York College
Sim Balk Lane
YO23 2BB

For information on getting to the York College, please see our Maps and Directions page.

Frequently Asked Questions

Do I need to have studied the subject that I am interested in before?

This depends on which level you wish to study. For basic level courses you may not require any previous study. For higher-level courses such as A Levels and Foundation Degrees previous knowledge may be required. Depending on your circumstances, you may be advised to study at a lower level prior to undertaking certain courses. Some courses have certain requirements which are set out by the professional bodies and the College must adhere to these. You will be given advice and guidance when you make and enquiry or application.

Do I need to have GCSEs/A Levels to study at College?

Not necessarily. Again, this depends on the level of the course. Higher-level (Level 4+) courses will specify particular entry requirements. In some cases experience in the workplace and a commitment to learning may be taken into account. Students wanting to study at a higher-level who do not have the relevant qualifications will be advised on possible entry routes, for example the Access to Higher Education course. In most cases universities will accept this qualification to gain entry to their courses. These courses can be studied full-time over one year.

Am I too old to come to College?

There is no upper age limit for most courses and the College has a wide range of students studying across all levels of course. We usually require learners to be over the age of 16, but in some cases younger learners may be considered with the permission of their school.

I don't really know what type of course I want to do, is there anyone I can discuss this with?

Our InfoZone team are available to offer information, advice and guidance on a wide range of courses. We can also help arrange a careers interview for you if you require more in depth advice, guidance and career planning. Telephone the InfoZone on 01904 770770 to make an appointment.

Is there any financial help available towards extra costs associated with course materials?

Advice on funding and financial support is available from the InfoZone. Some students may be eligible to apply for help with essential course related costs such as equipment, uniform, books, travel, educational trips. Applications are normally assessed according to a set of criteria based on financial circumstances and actual need. For more information please contact the InfoZone team on 01904 770770.

Can I get any help towards course fees?

If you are in receipt of certain benefits, then you may be entitled to a full or part concession on course fees. Students who apply to certain courses may also be eligible for a tuition fee loan to help cover the cost of course fees. We have specialist student finance advisors who will be able to advise you in greater detail with relevance to your particular circumstances. For more assistance with course fees please make direct contact with the College.

If I don't meet the course entry requirements and I don't have the specified qualifications, can I still apply for the course?

Most courses will consider applications from students who do not meet the specified entry requirements. Advice on access routes or a more appropriate level of study in your chosen area of interest may be suggested.

Is there any help available with regard to study skills?

The College offers courses to meet a range of abilities, including those which support students who are returning to study after many years and who may require support with study skills.

If I find that the course is not for me can I withdraw?

You are free to withdraw from the course at any time but you may still be liable for all or some of the course tuition fees.

Can I join a class after it has already started?

This will depend on the percentage of attendance required for the successful completion of the course. It may be possible to start late but this would be at the discretion of the course tutor.

Discover more...