Introduction to Management and Supervisory Skills
This course is suitable for existing or new managers, who want to become more effective and achieve more, and want to improve their management capabilities.
An employee's relationship with his or her direct manager is the single most important factor in employee engagement and retention. Effective managers are instrumental in creating a committed and productive workforce who enjoy adding value and act as ambassadors for your business.
Whether you are managing one person or a team, your skills, approach and knowledge will have real impact on your employee’s experience of the workplace.
Investing time in developing your management skills helps you to develop your strengths, learn new approaches and increase confidence in your abilities as a manager. This programme has been specifically designed for people who have little or no experience of supervising or managing others or who have some experience but no formal training in this area. It will help you to understand what management is, and what it isn’t, how to transition into becoming a manager and how to overcome some of the hurdles that may present. You will explore what strengths you are already bringing to the role, and how to leverage these, as well as identifying areas to work on and the tools to help you do this.
This is an interactive two-day workshop that will introduce the concepts of management and use exercises, group work and practical activities to help you understand how to implement these in your day to day work. You will get the opportunity to practice and refine your newly acquired skills in a safe environment, beginning the process of applying them to your management approach.
This course is delivered over 2 days with attendance required both days from 9.30am to 4.30pm.
Topics covered will include:
Introduction and Welcome
What is management?
- Management vs Leadership
- The role and responsibilities of a manager/supervisor
- Transitioning to the management role
Management vs Delivery
- Time management
- Planning, prioritising and allocating work
- Interpersonal skills and building rapport
- Feedback Skills
- Effective and productive meetings
Management & Leadership Style
- Situational Leadership - Hersey & Blanchard
- Power Base and Leadership – French & Bertram
- Generating motivation, engagement and commitment
Developing the team
- Performance Management & Appraisals
- Development goals
- Coaching and Mentoring
Achieving Business Objectives
- Setting Direction and Goals
- Motivation and commitment
- Maintaining high performance
- Resilience & Wellbeing
Dealing with Issues
- Handling grievances
- Disciplinary issues
- Dealing with conflict
- Develop a personal plan to implement learning back in the workplace.
In this two-day programme, you will learn the techniques and build the skills that will allow you to:
- Develop a rounded view of the manager’s role
- Develop an appropriate leadership style
- Set a direction for the team
- Coach and support individuals
- Delegate tasks successfully
- Conduct performance appraisals and provide feedback
- Know when and how to run meetings
- Build a strong and committed team
- Deal with conflict and emotion
- Motivate, inspire and gain commitment from your team
By the end of the two days you will have a good understanding of team performance, the importance of good communication and the basic principles of leadership.
Our trainers bring with them a wealth of experience in the subject. Their approach is professional and relaxed to quickly build confidence. We expect participants to be fully involved in the process, be enthusiastic and work hard to change their behaviours and to incorporate new learning.
Further Information and Booking
If you're interested in this course, please contact us:
Business Partnerships, York College, Sim Balk Lane, York, YO23 2BB
Next Course Dates
20th - 21st February 2023
3rd - 4th July 2023