This section contains information about the city, some useful links and videos describing life both in the city and at the College.
York is one of Europe’s most historical and culturally rich cities. Watch our video to hear International students from the city describe the experience of studying here.
York is an ancient city located at the heart of Yorkshire, England’s largest county. By train, York is just two hours from London, two and a half hours from Edinburgh and less than 90 minutes from Manchester.
We teamed up with the University of York, York St John University and
Askham Bryan College to ask international students studying in York
what life is like here. This is what they said:
Please note: This video may not be accessible to students based in mainland China - Youku version available here – (accessible in mainland China)
Dealing with Emergencies
In the event of an emergency your first call should always be to the emergency services (999). If you need to speak to the Police but it is not an emergency, you can call 101.
Once you have contacted the emergency services and you are sure that help is on the way, you should then inform the College as soon as possible. For non-emergencies, but at times when you feel you cannot deal with a situation on your own or with your homestay provider, you should contact the College or your programme coordinator. You can do this in the following ways:
Monday to Thursday between 09:00 and 17:00, Friday 09.00 and 16.30.
Call the International Office on +44 1904 770486. If you receive no response, call the main College Reception on +44 1904 770200.
24 Hour Contact Number (available at all other times)
Call the following number during the evening, at night and at the weekend: +44 1757 244473.
External Programme Coordinators
Many College students are on programmes which are supported by partner organisations. These programmes are listed below, along with the relevant contact numbers. Generally, you should inform these coordinators first, rather than the College. However, we will of course assist you if you choose to contact us:
- Akademiet Programme: +44 3300883720
- Barnes Educational Services: +44 7854 973546 / +44 7748 113782
Collectively, we have a duty of care to ensure that you are looked after and comfortable during your time in the UK. However, we do rely on you to tell us if there is a problem.
York College was founded in 1827, but our current
campus was entirely rebuilt in 2007 during a £60 million redevelopment
programme. This means we can combine nearly 200 years of experience with
the very best, modern facilities. Follow the link to discover more and
watch our College video.
Every day we welcome 4000 students through our doors. They come from all over our city, our region, the wider country and of course the rest of the world. We teach a wide range of both academic and vocational courses and pride ourselves on high quality, supportive and empowering teaching. We are also just ten minutes by bus from York’s historic city centre.
Our facilities include state of the art classrooms, a black box studio theatre, a training restaurant, beauty salon, playing fields, an all-weather football pitch and a comprehensive range of workshops, design suites, music production and media equipment. Further information is available here.
Local and National Links
This section has a number of links about York and life in the UK.
The following contains links to external sites which may be of use or interest to international students at York College. Please note York College is not responsible for the content of these sites:
- City of York Council: www.york.gov.uk
- York Tourist Office: www.visityork.org.uk
- Energise Sports Centre: https://www.york.gov.uk/info/20080/sport_and_leisure_facilities/483/energise
- iTravel York (travel and transport information): http://www.itravelyork.info/
- First York (bus company): www.firstgroup.com/york
- National Rail Enquiries (train tickets): www.nationalrail.co.uk
- Cycling information: http://www.itravelyork.info/cycling
- University of York: www.york.ac.uk
- York St John University: www.yorksj.ac.uk
- UCAS (university admissions system): www.ucas.com
- National Health Service (NHS): http://www.nhs.uk/pages/home.aspx
- Post Office: www.postoffice.co.uk
- Citizens Advice Bureau: www.citizensadvice.org.uk
- UK Council for International Student Affairs: www.ukcisa.org.uk
- National Union of Students: http://www.nus.org.uk/
Please note: This video may not be accessible to students based in mainland China.