BSL British Sign Language Level 2 Certificate - (Unit 1 - Term 2)
Level 2 Certificate in British Sign Language is suitable for those who:
- wish to achieve language skills at an intermediate level to improve communication with deaf people
- are deaf and wish to gain a qualification in their native language
- are family, friends and colleagues of deaf people
- want to progress from Level 1 study in BSL, and who may want to progress to more advanced levels of study in BSL at a later date
- are studying for personal development
Students should already have successfully completed Signature’s Level 1 award, either at York College or elsewhere.
This qualification is designed to enable learners to develop their skills to communicate with deaf people using BSL in a range of everyday situations. It will allow learners to participate in longer and more varied conversations. Students will develop communication in BSL about real life, routine, and daily experiences. They will be able to deal with most routine communication and have enough understanding of grammar to cope with some non-routine communication.
This unit focuses on receptive skills ie understanding. Students learn to understand and then answer questions related to the theme of Everyday Conversation.
Suggestions could include:
- Describe what a person, animal or object looks like
- Describe a person’s behaviour, personality, characteristics or feelings
- Describe what an animal looks like and how it behaves
- Describe what you do at school, college or work as part of your daily routine
- Express an attitude or opinion/like or dislike
- Describe an event or activity that has taken place in the past or is due to happen in the future
- Describe activities that you do regularly in the home or for leisure, the places that you go, your home and address
- Describe everyday illnesses, health, treatment and hospital
There is an end of unit assessment involving watching a DVD recording of a conversation and answering multiple choice questions
The fees for this course may vary depending on funding eligibility, if you feel you may qualify for funding, or wish to discuss loan options, please contact the Funding Team.
If there is sufficient interest the College will run Level 2 Unit 2.
Dates & course durations
15th January 2024 - 20th May 2024, Mondays, 6.00pm-8.00pm.
Lessons will be face to face and involve practice of skills with the teacher and with a partner/in small groups.
Students have access to a fantastic range of College-wide facilities such as the Learning & Research Centre (LRC), study hubs, computer areas with accompanying multi-function printers and helpdesk advice.
All materials are provided for you to complete the course. However, some courses may require additional study from home, you may need access to a PC/laptop and suitable Wi-Fi to access teaching and learning. You will be made aware of any additional study time at the time of enrolment.
You will be equipped with the skills and knowledge in basic sign language to help you progress and develop in a number of job opportunities to suit your personal needs and interests.