City & Guilds Level 3 VRQ Diploma in Women’s Hairdressing
This programme is aimed at qualified hairdressers wishing to further develop their skills and creative ability. A Level 3 qualification would give you the opportunity to share experiences with other professionals and help you realise your own potential.
Students will learn a variety of skills, whilst lessons are predominantly practical based, there will be elements of theory covered as well as other areas including:
- Practical demonstrations
- Practical activities to develop skills
- Working on each other and blocks
- Providing hairdressing services to clients
- Theory/knowledge input – with direction to home study.
- Ongoing assessment
Students wishing to apply for this course will already have Level 2 Hairdressing and must have passed English or Maths GCSE at a grade 4 or above.
Applicants may be required to complete a trade test prior to enrolling.
The NVQ Level 3 training programme in Hairdressing provides professional training of the highest standard in a realistic and up-to-date working environment. The subjects covered are the theory and practice of Advanced Hairdressing which will include:
- Cross unit test
- Creatively style and dress hair
- Creatively cut women’s hair using a combination of techniques
- Creatively colour and lighten hair
- Provide hairdressing consultation service
- Provide colour correction service
- Contribute to the planning, implementation and evaluation of promotional activities
- Students are assessed through observation of practical skills and completion of tasks.
- Students will also be required to complete end of unit tests
The fees for this course can vary depending on funding eligibility and loan availability, if you feel you may qualify for funding, or wish to discuss loan options, please contact the Funding Team.
Following successful completion of the Level 3 Diploma in Women’s Hairdressing, students have the opportunity to progress onto the Level 4 Diploma in Salon Management available at York College University Centre.
Dates & course durations
September 2024, date tbc.
The course involves a blend of both practical skills development and classroom theory through:
- Demonstration of hairdressing techniques
- Initial theory input followed by directed home/independent study
- Opportunities for students to practice skills during lessons
The College has 3 large fully equipped hairdressing salons in which students will work. In addition to this there is a fully functioning hair and beauty reception.
Students have access to a fantastic range of College-wide facilities such as the Learning & Research Centre, study hubs, computer areas with accompanying multi-function printers and helpdesk advice.
As this course requires additional study from home, you may need access to a PC/laptop and suitable Wi-Fi to access teaching and learning.
All materials are provided for you to complete the course. However, some courses may require additional study from home, you may need access to a PC/laptop and suitable Wi-Fi to access teaching and learning. You will be made aware of any additional study time at the time of enrolment.
Students will gain skills that will enable them to demonstrate more advanced techniques in the hairdressing salon. Some adult learners chose to provide hairdressing services on a mobile/self-employment basis or work in a salon environment.