Level 2 Diploma in Women’s Hairdressing
This course is aimed at adults who wish to further enhance their hairdressing skills. The course will include an element of home study to meet the demands of the qualification, therefore, students must be able to allocate time at home to complete these activities in addition to attending College one evening a week. Regular attendance each week is vital for successful completion. However, this is a condensed course enabling those who have other commitments to study on a part-time basis.
Students will learn a variety of skills, whilst lessons are predominantly practical based, there will be elements of theory covered as well as other areas including:
- Practical demonstrations
- Practical activities to develop skills
- Working on each other and blocks
- Providing hairdressing services to clients
- Theory/knowledge input – with direction to home study.
- Ongoing assessment
Ideally students will already hold a Level 1 Certificate in Hairdressing (or equivalent relevant qualification). Students will need to demonstrate enthusiasm and interest in the subject and have a genuine desire to both provide and receive hair treatments. A good work ethic and communication skills are also essential due to the nature of the job and the need for commitment to home study (minimum of 3 hours per week).
A wide range of different modules and skills are introduced throughout the course, including:
- Working in the hair industry
- Follow health and safety practice in the salon
- Client consultation for hair services
- Shampoo and condition the hair and scalp
- Promote products and services to clients in a salon
- Cut women’s hair
- Colour and lighten hair
- Perm and neutralise hair
- The art of dressing hair
- Create an image based on a theme within the hair and beauty sector
- Salon reception duties
A variety of assessment methods are used throughout this course including:
- Students are assessed through observation of practical skills and completion of home study tasks
- Students will also be required to produce assignments and successfully complete end of unit tests
£0 - £3,345
The fees for this course can vary depending on funding eligibility, if you feel you may qualify for funding, please contact the Funding Team.
Following successful completion of Level 2, students will have the opportunity to progress on to a Level 3 hairdressing qualification.
Dates & course durations
September 2024, date tbc.
Students are generally required to purchase a kit; however, we are currently reviewing this situation.
All students will be required to wear a uniform. The full details of this will be provided closer to the time of enrolment.
As this course requires additional study from home, you may need access to a PC/laptop and suitable Wi-Fi to access teaching and learning.
The College has 3 large fully equipped hairdressing salons in which students will work. In addition to this there is a fully functioning Hair and Beauty reception.
Students have access to a fantastic range of College-wide facilities such as the Learning & Research Centre, study hubs, computer areas with accompanying multi-function printers and helpdesk advice.
The course involves a blend of both practical skills development and classroom theory through:
- Demonstration of hairdressing techniques
- Tutor-led initial theory input followed by directed home/independent study
- Opportunities for students to practice skills during lessons
Students will gain skills that would enable them to work in a hairdressing salon. Some adult learners chose to provide hairdressing services on a mobile/self-employment basis.