SEG Level 2 Award in Counselling Concepts
The course will give a basic introduction to counselling and enable students to make a more informed choice as to whether or not to embark on vocational training in counselling
This qualification is designed as a basic generic introduction to counselling for those who have had no previous experience of, or training in, the field of counselling. Its versatility appeals to a wide range of potential learners and the target market includes those who are considering embarking on formal counselling training as an intended career change.
The course has been developed for those who recognise the importance of counselling skills and may be working in such areas as care, education and training, Social Services, industry and commerce and the Health Service. The course is also open to those who may be interested in using counselling skills in a voluntary setting. The ABC Level 2 Award in Counselling Concepts aims to:
- Enhance and improve verbal communication skills, especially empathy, the ability to listen and respect silence
- Enhance and improve written communication skills
- Provide a basic understanding of what counselling is about and able to compare and contrast counselling with other forms of helping activities
- Develop an understanding of what counselling training entails and assist learners to make a more informed choice as to whether or not s/he is suited to undertake vocational counselling training as opposed to other types of training
- Introduce learners to experiential learning processes that will include a high element of personal growth work, developing further self-confidence and self-esteem
- Prepare learners to progress onto appropriate further qualifications
This course is open to everyone with a genuine interest in developing their counselling techniques and there are no formal entry requirements.
You will have an opportunity to identify and practise a range of skills used when participating in counselling skills interactions. You will also be introduced to the key elements of the main theoretical approaches to counselling as well as the concepts of diversity and ethics and their importance in the use of counselling skills. You will have an opportunity to reflect on your personal and future development and identify potential sources of support.
You will complete this qualification with a comprehensive and full understanding of the following:
- Therapeutic models of counselling, ethical frameworks and helping relationships
- Effective communication skills in helping relationships
- How to reflect on personal development and identify areas for future development.
You will complete 3 units:
- The professional context of counselling
- Communication skills in helping relationships
- An introduction to personal development
This course encourages feedback from peers and tutors and also a process of self-reflection using weekly journals which is assessed through completion of a workbook.
£84 - £168
The fees for this course can vary depending on funding eligibility, if you feel you may qualify for funding, please contact the Funding Team.
Successful completion of this course can lead to progression onto Level 3 Certificate in Counselling Skills.
Dates & course durations
18th September 2023 - 4th December 2023, Mondays, 6.00pm-9.00pm
19th September 2023 - 5th December 2023, Tuesdays, 6.00pm-9.00pm
20th September 2023 - 6th December 2023, Wednesdays, 10.00am-1.00pm
15th January 2024 - 8th April 2024, Wednesdays, 6.00pm-9.00pm
17th January 2024 - 10th April 2024, Mondays, 10.00am-1.00pm
17th January 2024 - 10th April 2024, Wednesdays, 6.00pm-9.00pm
Delivery will be mostly classroom-based with some E-learning through York College Blackboard and Microsoft Teams
Students have access to a fantastic range of College-wide facilities such as the Learning & Research Centre, study hubs, computer areas with accompanying multi-function printers and helpdesk advice.
All materials are provided for you to complete the course. However, some courses may require additional study from home, you may need access to a PC/laptop and suitable Wi-Fi to access teaching and learning. You will be made aware of any additional study time at the time of enrolment.
This qualification, or an equivalent, will be a prerequisite for entry into the Level 3 Certificate in Counselling Skills programme. However, for those who do not intend to continue their studies further in the field of counselling, the course can be a valuable introduction to skills transferable into a range of career and educational opportunities.