YMCA Level 3 Personal Training - Practitioner
This qualification is aimed at qualified Fitness Instructors who want to progress further in their fitness-instructing career, as a personal trainer.
The course covers the following:
- Anatomy and Physiology for Exercise and Health - this will further develop the understanding and application of the human anatomy and the effects of exercise
- Applying the Principals of Nutrition to a Physical Activity Programme - this unit covers the students' ability to apply the principles of nutrition to support clients' goals as part of a physical activity programme
- Programming Personal Training with Clients - this unit covers the knowledge and skills a student needs to design, manage and adapt a personal training programme with apparently healthy adults of all ages. This may include young people in the 14 - 16 age range, provided they are part of a larger adult group. This unit also covers working with individual older adults, ante and postnatal women, and disabled clients
- Delivering Personal Training Sessions - this unit covers the practical skills needed in order to deliver exercise and physical activity for young people in the 14 - 16 age range, provided they are part of a larger adult group. This unit also covers working with individual older adults, ante and postnatal women, and disabled clients
The Anatomy and Physiology for Exercise and Applying the Principals of Nutrition will require additional independent home study via the internet, with revision sessions being provided prior to an exam.
Student must have a Level 2 Instructing Fitness (Gym-based) qualification and an understanding of how the human body functions. As this is a personal trainer qualification, a good level of verbal communication is also required.
- Anatomy and Physiology for Exercise and Health
- Applying the Principals of Nutrition to a Physical Activity Programme
- Programming Personal Training with Clients
- Delivering Personal Training Sessions
A range of compulsory assessment is covered including:
- 2 multiple choice theory papers – online assessment
- Practical assessments
- Learner Assessment record
Regular formative assessment will be included throughout the course, with home study required.
The fees for this course can vary depending on funding eligibility and loan availability, if you feel you may qualify for funding, or wish to discuss loan options, please contact the Funding Team.
Following successful completion of the Level 3 Personal Training qualification, students will be equipped to enrol on specialist fitness and leisure courses e.g. strength and conditional, group-based exercise, exercise prescription qualifications and more.
Dates & course durations
19th September 2022 - 26th June 2023, Mondays, 6.00pm - 9.00pm
A range of teaching methods will be utilised, including a mix of theory-based sessions and practical gym-based sessions in the newly refurbished Athletic Suite. Normally, a theory and a practical session each week will occur.
Practical sessions are held in The Athletic Suite with a range of commercial standard cardiovascular and resistance machines and free weights.
The majority of lessons will take place in our newly refurbished gym, The Athletic Suite, where students will have access to industry standard gym equipment, including health screening resources.
Students also have access to a fantastic range of College-wide facilities such as the Learning & Research Centre, study hubs, computer areas with accompanying multi-function printers and helpdesk advice.
This course requires practical clothing and footwear and resource packs which will need to be purchased by the student, the cost of this can vary depending on individual budgets.
Some courses may require additional study from home, you may need access to a PC/laptop and suitable Wi-Fi to access teaching and learning. You will be made aware of any additional study time at the time of enrolment.
Former students have gone on to employment within a gym environment or self-employment as a Personal Trainer.