Physical Education A Level
You’ll study a variety of different units to develop and enhance your sport knowledge, under the guidance of our experienced tutors.
A minimum of 4 subjects at grade 5 or above at GCSE including English Language and Maths. In addition, you must have a grade 5 in GCSE Science and a grade 6 in GCSE Physical Education (if taken). You must play competitive sport and be able to evidence participation in competitive sport through practical video footage throughout the duration of the course.
You will be required to submit a 10 minute video of you playing your selected sport to ensure you meet the requirements of a competitive athlete/player. We will contact you to arrange this after you have submitted your application.
What will I study?
- Factors Affecting Participation in Physical Activity and Sport
- Applied Anatomy and Physiology
- Exercise Physiology
- Biomechanical Movement
- Sport and Society and the Role of Technology in Physical Activity and Sport
All students are expected to purchase a practical kit. There is also a course contribution cost to support the trips and visits organised across the year to enhance students' learning. For further information please speak to our tutors at open events and guidance discussions.
Method of delivery
You will typically be in College four days per week, with lesson style varying according to subject. In-College delivery is supported by online resources, and students develop strong independent learning skills to equip them for their next steps.
How will I be assessed?
You will be assessed through two linear examinations. In the first year, 80% of the content is examined. The other 20% is assessed through coursework and practical sports performance. In the second year, the practical and coursework component make up 15% of the assessment framework.
100% theoretical delivery. You will need to submit video evidence of competitive participation in your chosen sport for the practical element of the course. Please note that we can support in practical evidence gathering for York College Sports Development Centre students.
Good course combinations
This course combines well with most other A Levels.
Your next steps
This course could lead to opportunities to study physical education, sport studies, sport science, physiotherapy, sports therapy, recreation and leisure studies, sports management and sports coaching. These are established higher education progression routes. Sports-related qualifications help those wishing to work with people such as in teaching, leadership and coaching roles, as well as roles in the Police and the Armed Services. Past students have combined their academic and sporting pathways by taking up sport scholarships in the UK, Europe and America.
I chose A Level PE as I really enjoyed it at school and wanted to further my knowledge in this area. I enjoy learning about how the body works during exercise and also applying it to my football. I particularly enjoyed the sports psychology topics as this was something I had never learned before so it was eye-opening to find out how much psychological factors impact performance.