Laboratory Technician Apprenticeship Level 3
Our Laboratory Technician Apprenticeship Level 3 is aimed at those seeking employment as a technician in the science industry or supporting the education sector. There is demand across the country for skilled and qualified technicians and employers need committed, well-trained and enthusiastic workers.
The work can be very varied depending on the institution.
Employment in a relevant environment for minimum of 30 hours per week. You must have 5 GCSE’s at grade 4 or above, including Maths, English, and Science. Alternatively a BTEC Diploma in Applied Science alongside GCSE’s in Maths and English at grade 4 or above.
What will I study?
You will work towards the BTEC Level 3 Diploma in Applied Science which will include:
- Work safely in a laboratory, maintaining excellent housekeeping whilst following appropriate safety, environment and risk management systems.
- Follow quality procedures to meet the requirements of quality standards relevant to the workplace.
- Prepare for laboratory tasks using the appropriate scientific techniques, procedures and methods
- Perform laboratory tasks following specified methodologies, such as Standard Operating Procedures
- Use of specified instrumentation and laboratory equipment, including calibration where required.
- Produce reliable, accurate data and keep accurate records of laboratory work undertaken and results.
- Analyse, interpret and evaluate data and identify results requiring further investigation seeking advice of senior colleagues as appropriate.
- Communicate scientific information appropriately, including the use of Laboratory Information Management systems, either digital or paper based.
- Apply scientific techniques for data presentation. e.g. statistics
- Recognise problems and apply appropriate scientific methods to identify causes and achieve solutions.
- Participate in continuous business performance improvement
Method of delivery
The apprenticeship will be delivered through a series of progress reviews and observations in the workplace on a 6-8-week basis, checking necessary progress. Apprentices will have a day release to attend College to study the BTEC qualification.
For the BTEC Level 3 Diploma in Applied Science, there will be opportunities to learn about the fundamentals of science, working in the science industry, to develop various mathematical and scientific techniques, and conduct a scientific investigation. The Apprenticeship and BTEC delivery involve a blended learning method, using classroom discussion and our virtual learning environment to enhance learning.
How will I be assessed?
There are three parts to End-Point Assessment (EPA).
- The Knowledge Test (KT) assesses an apprentices ability for knowledge recall to enable working safely, maintain accuracy and work cost-effectively. This will involve a multiple-choice question test, with some answers related to a given scenario.
- The Observation with Questioning (OwQ) is an observation in the workplace of the ability of the apprentice to perform laboratory tasks following specific procedures, working safely, and demonstrating an understanding of the data produced.
- The Structured Interview (SI) covers the whole Apprenticeship Standard and is an opportunity to present evidence to support elements of the standard that were not possible to demonstrate in the observation.
There are no specific College programme related costs, however you will be advised of any additional costs during your application and enrolment process.
BTEC Diploma in Applied Science Level 3
Laboratory Technician Apprenticeship Level 3
Good course combinations
It is not possible to combine this course with other Vocational, T Level or A Level programmes.
Your next steps
Ideally, once you have completed your apprenticeship you will have a job with your employer. From the Level 3 Laboratory Technician Advanced Apprenticeship, you can then progress onto higher level apprenticeships.
To find out more about how to become an apprentice or how to recruit an apprentice into your business, please contact York College Business Partnerships Team:
Tel: 01904 770368
"I chose an apprenticeship in this field as science has been an interest of mine for a long time, and as a person who prefers practical over theory this apprenticeship was ideal for me.
My experience has been good, I get on well with my tutors, work is relevant, and I know where to go for support if I ever need it.
In the future I’d like to remain in my workplace as a full-time employee upon completion of my apprenticeship."