This qualification is aimed at the learner who wants to pursue a career in the health and fitness industry as a fitness instructor in the context of gym-based exercise.
Why York College?
- You'll have access to qualified tutors on a weekly basis for feedback and support
- Our programmes run on evenings so they fit in with a busy lifestyle (and some intensive weeks, normally in the school holidays)
- We offer a personal face-to-face approach
- Our costs include all course fees including registration, exam entry and certification
- We've invested £20,000 in our gym, so you'll be using the most up-to-date equipment in the industry
- You can be set up as a personal trainer (self-employed) within one year with our progression route from Level 2 to Level 3
Anatomy and physiology including:
The heart and circulatory system
The respiratory system
Structure and function of the skeleton
Postural and core stability
The nervous and energy systems and their relation to exercise
How to maintain health, safety and welfare in a variety of fitness environments, including the safeguarding of children and vulnerable adults
How to programme safe and effective exercise for a range of clients, the health benefits of physical activity and the importance of healthy eating
How to communicate with clients effectively, and motivate clients to adhere to an exercise programme
The skills and knowledge required to plan and prepare a gym-based exercise programme with apparently healthy adults - both individuals and groups. This may include young people in the 14-16 age range, provided they are part of a larger adult group. Client groups also covered are older adults, ante and postnatal clients and disabled clients, provided the relevant contraindications and key safety guidelines are observed.
There are no formal entry requirements but all candidates need to have a basic understanding of how the human body functions and be experienced in the use of a gym for their own personal fitness. As this is an instructor qualification a good level of verbal communication is an advantage.
Dates and Times
- Anatomy and Physiology for Exercise
- Principles of Exercise, Fitness and health
- Health, safety and welfare in a fitness environment
- Know how to support clients that take part in exercise and physical activity
- Planning gym based exercise
- Delivering gym based exercise.
Mix of theory based sessions and practical gym based sessions. Normally, a theory and a practical session each week.
Practical sessions are held in the fitness suite with a range of cardiovascular and resistance machines and free weights.
A range of compulsory assessment is covered including:
- Multiple choice theory paper/eAssessment
- Practical examination
- Regular formative assessment will be included throughout the course with home study required
CYQ Level 2 Certificate in Fitness Instructing
Resource packs and practical clothing and footwear.
Reasons to choose this course
Outstanding tutor support and extensive face to face delivery by highly qualified staff, both in practical and theory sessions.
Classroom and fitness suite, including health screening resources.
Skills you will develop
Communication and client-focused ustomer service skills. The ability to motivate and create rapport with peers and clients. Self-employment skills.
About the course tutors
Tutors are qualified fitness instructors and personal trainers and have up to date experience of working in industry. Specialist interest in strength and conditioning and experience in the teaching and assessment of fitness and personal training qualifications.
Employment or self employment as a fitness instructor (gym based).
A range of course manuals written by CYQ are available to purchase to support your study. These are priced individually - details available on the CYQ website www.cyq.org.uk/qualifications
£0 - £811.
Courses costing more than £200 can usually be paid for in instalments. Please contact the College for details.
How to Apply
If you would like to enrol, you can do so via our Enrol Now page.
If you have any further questions about York College please email email@example.com or call (01904) 770770.
Whilst every effort has been made to ensure the accuracy of the information contained in this webpage, the content is subject to change where necessary.