Within this qualification you will develop interpersonal skills to communicate with a range of other people and demonstrate effective leadership and coaching skills. You need a strong interest in sport, and through a variety of theory and practical units will develop the skills, knowledge and understanding of sports performance and coaching and how fitness, health and the human body help to contribute to sporting success.
Please see our Entry Requirements page for general entry requirement guidance.
One year course.
What will I study?
Within the qualification you will develop interpersonal skills to communicate with a range of other people and to demonstrate effective team working skills. These qualities will all be enhanced through a range of sports coaching opportunities as part of planning and running a sports event and practical participation in team and individual sports. The structure and function of the body during exercise will also be studied.
The course covers a wide range of subjects including:
- Participation in Sport
- Anatomy and Physiology in Sport
- Developing Sporting Skills and Tactical Awareness
- Sports Coaching
- Plan, Deliver and Evaluate a Sports Session
- Health, Exercise and Nutrition
- Introduction for Fitness and Training
You will also undertake an additional sports leaders qualification to prepare for entry as a grassroots sports leader or coach.
You will evidence your skills, knowledge and understanding through an evidence-based portfolio. Evidence will consist of worksheets, posters, assignments, observation, witness testimonies and case studies.
The course includes a mix of theory and practical units and you will be studying in the Fitness Suite, Sports Hall, and 3G pitch, as well as in classrooms and computer rooms.
You can re-sit GCSE Maths and/or English alongside this course.
What could it lead to?
Students may progress onto a Level 3 qualification in Sport, Sport and Exercise Science or Uniformed Protective Services. Other students interested in the fitness element of this qualification may decide to pursue the Level 2 Fitness Instructing and Level 3 Personal Training pathways. Some students also take up employment in the sports industry.
Need some help?
Whilst every effort has been made to ensure the accuracy of the information contained in this webpage, the content is subject to change where necessary.
- Fitness Instructing (Gym-Based Exercise) Certificate Level 2
- Personal Training Certificate Level 3
- Sport (Coaching) Diploma Level 2
- Sport and Exercise Science Foundation Diploma/Extended Diploma Level 3
- Sport Certificate Level 1
- Sports Coaching and Development Extended Certificate/Foundation Diploma/Diploma/Extended Diploma Level 3
- Uniformed Protective Services Extended Certificate/Foundation Diploma/Diploma/Extended Diploma Level 3
- Uniformed Services Extended Certificate Level 2