Please see our Entry Requirements page for general entry requirement guidance. You must have completed the Level 2 Certificate in Fitness Instructing prior to starting this course.
One year course.
What will I study?
The YMCA Level 3 Certificate in Personal Training is an ideal qualification for those in the exercise and fitness sector who wish to develop and refine their existing skills. The qualification aims to provide students with the understanding and practical skills needed to work as a personal trainer in a variety of settings. This includes understanding health and safety in a fitness environment, customer service, anatomy and physiology, personal training programmes and sessions, and nutrition. Students successfully completing this qualification will be able to gain access to the Register of Exercise Professionals (REPs) at Level 3.
Units studied include:
- Principles of Exercise, Fitness and Health
- Anatomy and Physiology for Exercise and Health
- Programming Personal Training with Clients
- Delivering Personal Training Sessions
- Applying the Principles of Nutrition to a Physical Activity Programme
You can re-sit GCSE Maths and/or English alongside this course.
What it could lead to?
Students can enter employment (including self-employment) as a personal trainer or could combine this with another Level 3 qualification to enter higher education. On completion of the course, you will be CIMSPA accredited and be licensed to practice. You could become a self-employed personal trainer or work for a leisure centre or private gym. Some students move into more specialised personal training such as in the armed forces.
Need some help?
Whilst every effort has been made to ensure the accuracy of the information contained in this webpage, the content is subject to change where necessary.
- Fitness Instructing (Gym-Based Exercise) Certificate Level 2
- Personal Training Certificate Level 3
- Sport (Coaching) Diploma Level 2
- Sport and Exercise Science Foundation Diploma/Extended Diploma Level 3
- Sport Certificate Level 1
- Sports Coaching and Development Extended Certificate/Foundation Diploma/Diploma/Extended Diploma Level 3
- Uniformed Protective Services Extended Certificate/Foundation Diploma/Diploma/Extended Diploma Level 3
- Uniformed Services Extended Certificate Level 2