This course offers an enjoyable blend of practical activities and theoretical study that prepares students for progression onto the advanced level courses.
Please see our Entry Requirements page for general entry requirement guidance.
One year course.
What will I study?
Modules studied include:
- Anatomy and physiology for exercise
- Health, safety and welfare in a fitness environment
- Principles of exercise, fitness and health
- Planning gym-based exercise
- Instructing gym-based exercise
What could it lead to?
On completion of this course, you will have an industry recognised qualification enabling you to start to work as a fitness instructor immediately.
You will have the skills and knowledge necessary to plan, deliver and evaluate safe and effective fitness instruction sessions via the context of gym-based exercise. Once you have successfully completed this qualification, you will be able to gain access to the Register of Exercise Professionals (REPs) at Level 2.
You may progress onto a Level 3 Personal Training qualification or take up employment in the sport and leisure industry.
Need some help?
Whilst every effort has been made to ensure the accuracy of the information contained in this webpage, the content is subject to change where necessary.
- Entry to the Uniformed Services Diploma Level 2
- Entry to the Uniformed Services Diploma/Extended Diploma Level 3
- Fitness Instructing (Gym-Based Exercise) Certificate Level 2
- Personal Training Certificate Level 3
- Sport (Sport Coaching) Diploma Level 2
- Sport & Physical Activity (Sport Coaching or Working in Sport & Leisure Pathway) Diploma/Extended Diploma Level 3
- Sport and Exercise Sciences Diploma/Extended Diploma Level 3
- Sport Certificate Level 1
- Sport Diploma/Extended Diploma Level 3