This qualification aims to help support your personal development through acquiring skills and knowledge in sport, exercise and fitness. The qualification also allows you to gain personal transferable skills that can be applied to the workplace or further study.
Please see our Entry Requirements page for general entry requirement guidance.
One year course.
What will I study?
The programme content includes a comprehensive introduction into the health, fitness and sports industry.
Units covered may include:
- Taking Part in Sport
- Sport Coaching
- Personal Exercise and Fitness
- Effects of Exercise on the Human Body
- Health and Nutrition
To achieve the Level 1 Certificate in Sport, you must successfully demonstrate your achievement of all learning outcomes and assessment criteria. You will evidence your skills, knowledge and understanding through an evidence-based portfolio. Evidence will consist of worksheets, posters, assignments, observation, witness testimonies and case studies.
The course includes a mix of theory and practical units and you will be studying in the Fitness Suite, Sports Hall, and 3G pitch, as well as in classrooms and computer rooms.
You can re-sit GCSE Maths and English alongside this course.
What could it lead to?
On successful completion of this course you may wish to progress to a Level 2 course at College. Available Level 2 courses that would build upon your Level 1 skills include Sport (Coaching), Fitness Instructing (Gym-Based) and Uniformed Services. Progression is subject to a good course report and recommendation from your course tutor. Some students may wish to pursue entry to employment in the sports and fitness industry.
Need some help?
Whilst every effort has been made to ensure the accuracy of the information contained in this webpage, the content is subject to change where necessary.
- Fitness Instructing (Gym-Based Exercise) Certificate Level 2
- Personal Training Certificate Level 3
- Sport (Coaching) Diploma Level 2
- Sport and Exercise Science Foundation Diploma/Extended Diploma Level 3
- Sport Certificate Level 1
- Sports Coaching and Development Extended Certificate/Foundation Diploma/Diploma/Extended Diploma Level 3
- Uniformed Protective Services Extended Certificate/Foundation Diploma/Diploma/Extended Diploma Level 3
- Uniformed Services Extended Certificate Level 2