York College

Industry Insights

Sports coaches, instructors and officials

Up to £15,000

Find out more

Sports and leisure assistants

Up to £17,000

Find out more

Leisure and sports managers

Up to £38,000

Find out more

Entry requirements

Please see our Entry Requirements page for general entry requirement guidance. You must play competitive sport and be able to evidence participation in competitive sport through practical video footage throughout the duration of the course.


Two year course.

What will I study?

  • Factors affecting participation in physical activity and sport
  • Applied anatomy and physiology
  • Exercise physiology
  • Biomechanical movement
  • Sport and society and the role of technology in physical activity and sport

Good course combinations

This course combines well with most other A Levels.

How will I be assessed?

You will be assessed through two linear examinations. In the AS Level, 80% of the content is examined. The other 20% is assessed through coursework and practical sports performance. In the A Level, the practical and coursework component make up 15% of the assessment framework.

What could it lead to?

This course could lead to opportunities to study Physical Education, Sport Studies, Sport Science, Physiotherapy, Sports Therapy, Recreation and Leisure Studies, Sports Management, Sports Coaching. These are established higher education progression routes. Sports-related qualifications help those wishing to work with people such as teaching, leadership and coaching roles as well as roles in the police and the armed services. Past students have combined their academic and sporting pathways by taking up sport scholarships in the UK, Europe and America.

Need some help?

If you have any further questions about this course, or would like us to help you with your application, please contact the Schools Liaison team on 01904 770239 or email This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Whilst every effort has been made to ensure the accuracy of the information contained in this webpage, the content is subject to change where necessary.


1947 - Joe Vince PE
Need Help?

Course Enquiry

Please type your full name.
Invalid email address.
Please tell us about your enquiry