Please see our Entry Requirements page for general entry requirement guidance.
As well as the general entry requirements for Vocational Level 3 courses, applicants will be required to attend an audition to demonstrate your performing arts skills and discuss your interest in the subject.
Who is this course suitable for?
Students wishing to pursue a career in acting or who are aiming to progress on to an acting/performing related university degree or to attend a drama school or conservatoire.
The Extended Diploma is a very practical course. You will study a wide variety of acting styles, genres and practitioners. You will also learn about the backstage and technical side of the theatre; lighting and sound, stage management and set design. You will be taught by industry professionals and experienced performing arts teachers who have knowledge, experience and excellent partnerships with organisations such as The Academy of Live and Recorded Arts (ALRA) and York Theatre Royal that will develop your ability and further your opportunities and career.
What will I study?
- Principals of Performance
- Engaging with an Audience
- Introduction to Professional Practice
- Critical and Contextual Awareness
- Production Skills and Context
- Performance Skills and Context
- Preparation for Specialist Study
- Collaborative Performance Project
- Developing Performance and Production Skills
- Preparing for Progression
- Exploration of Specialist Study and Context
- Extended Project
How will I be assessed?
Over the two years of the course you will be assessed on a wide range of projects. The course is split 70% practical work and 30% written work. The course assessments are practical and performance related with an emphasis on personal reflection, analysis and research.
There is a £65.00 student contribution which helps to cover the costs of performances, workshops and materials used. There is also the option to participate in a range of visits and residential trips during the course, the cost of which will be additional. You will be expected to have rehearsal clothing/kit. This will be confirmed at interview.
What could it lead to?
An Extended Diploma in Acting can lead to further study in acting, theatre, drama, performing arts, and production arts, either at university or at a specialist college or conservatoire. This qualification is designed to lead to a career within the performing arts industry, be that in the field of practical performance, directing, writing, education or backstage.
Previous students have secured places at:
- Arden School of Theatre
- Birmingham School of Theatre
- Central School of Speech and Drama
- East 15
- Guildhall School of Music and Drama
- Manchester School of Theatre
- Mountview Academy of Theatre Arts
- Rose Bruford
- Royal Conservatoire of Scotland
Need some help?
Whilst every effort has been made to ensure the accuracy of the information contained in this webpage, the content is subject to change where necessary.
- Creative & Performing Arts (Dance) Extended Diploma Level 3
- Creative Media Production and Technology Diploma Level 2
- Creative Media Production Extended Diploma Level 3
- Music Performance and Production Diploma Level 2
- Music Performance and Production Extended Diploma Level 3
- Performing and Production Arts Diploma Level 2
- Performing & Production Arts (Backstage Arts) Extended Diploma Level 3
- Performing and Production Arts (Musical Theatre) Extended Diploma Level 3
- Performing Arts (Acting) Extended Diploma Level 3