Please see our Entry Requirements page for general entry requirement guidance.
As well as the general entry requirements for Vocational Level 3 courses, applicants will be required to attend an audition to demonstrate your singing and acting skills and discuss your interest in the subject.
What will I study?
Equivalent to three A Levels, this course is a practical route into a career in musical theatre performance and provides an introduction to the practical skills and theoretical knowledge required to work in the performing arts industry. You will develop skills in singing, dance and acting as well as a thorough understanding of the musical theatre sector.
Over two years you will:
- Prepare for and develop audition material and techniques
- Develop your singing voice
- Explore performance techniques
- Learn to work as an ensemble through rehearsal and performance
- Explore ballet and jazz dance forms
- Develop skills as an actor physically and vocally
- Understand how to create roles for performance
- Learn about the history of musical theatre and its influence on popular culture
- Broaden your musical theatre repertoire
You will be taught by theatre and industry trained professionals such as directors, actors, voice coaches, dancers, choreographers, singers and musicians who work alongside students, not only on professionally produced shows and performances, but also offering first hand, vocational knowledge of the industry and its demands.
You will have the opportunity to learn and perform across a wide range of projects from workshop performances and recitals to children's theatre performance, concerts and full-scale musical theatre productions.
How will I be assessed?
Students are assessed on a regular basis throughout the course, completing assignments which consist of 70% practical and 30% written work.
- Musicals in context
- Children’s theatre devised project
- Supper and Songs
- Full scale musical performance
A materials contribution of £75 applies to this course. We also have trips to theatres and other venues. These are priced on an individual basis.
What could it lead to?
The course provides a sound foundation for drama school, with many of our students going to one of the top 22 conservatoires or into higher education, studying musical theatre and other industry related courses at degree level. This is a practical, work-related approach to the world of musical theatre. Based upon real-life professional situations, activities and demands, the course is the ideal intermediate step in pursuing a career in the performing arts.
Past students have secured places at:
- Guildford School of Acting
- East 15
- Italia Conti
- London Studios
- Arden School of Theatre
- Manchester Metropolitan University
- The Royal Conservatoire of Scotland
- Trinity Laban Conservatoire of Music and Dance
- Bodywork Company
Need some help?
Whilst every effort has been made to ensure the accuracy of the information contained in this webpage, the content is subject to change where necessary.
- Creative Media Production and Technology Diploma Level 2
- Creative Media Production Extended Diploma Level 3
- Music Performance and Production Diploma Level 2
- Music Performance and Production Extended Diploma Level 3
- Performing and Production Arts Diploma Level 2
- Performing & Production Arts (Backstage Arts) Extended Diploma Level 3
- Performing and Production Arts (Acting) Extended Diploma Level 3
- Performing and Production Arts (Dance) Extended Diploma Level 3
- Performing and Production Arts (Musical Theatre) Extended Diploma Level 3