Please see our Entry Requirements page for general entry requirement guidance.
One year (this would be taken in your AS Level year).
What is Core Maths?
This is a Level 3 Certificate in Mathematical Studies, equivalent to an AS Level in terms of UCAS points.
Core Maths builds on GCSE Maths, focused on problem-solving and interpretation of maths in the real world. Students will consider and tackle mathematics in meaningful contexts, including through financial applications and statistical ideas that can support work in other subjects.
What will I study?
- Statistics and Algebra
- Probability and Estimation
- Data Analysis and Modelling
- Sequences and Growth
- Financial Planning and Management
- Problem-Solving Approaches and Techniques e.g. Linear Programming
- Using Technology and Spreadsheets
This equips students with practical and useful mathematics skills relevant to:
- Business needs: eg analysing and evaluating data, budget management, problem-solving approaches and financial calculations
- Everyday life requirements: eg preparing tax returns, applying for loans, general budgeting and managing household finances
How will I be assessed?
There are two examination papers.
Good course combinations
This course is particularly useful for students studying Economics, Psychology, Sociology, Business Studies, Biology, and Politics.
Please note, this course is not suitable for students studying A Level Physics.
What could it lead to?
Core Maths is for students who need to be equipped for the mathematical and quantitative demands of other courses and employment, but it is also particularly relevant for those who need these skills to meet the demands of a range of courses in higher education. In fact, over 40 universities this year made a statement in support, and it was publically endorsed by the Russell Group of research-intensive universities. Universities are becoming increasingly aware of Core Maths and starting to give lower grade offers to students with Core Maths who are applying to their courses.
Need some help?
Whilst every effort has been made to ensure the accuracy of the information contained in this webpage, the content is subject to change where necessary.