An introduction to understanding and communicating in British Sign Language for learners with no previous knowledge. These are complementary but separate courses; students can enrol for one or both.
There are no formal entry requirements but a willingness to participate is essential.
Dates and Times
17th September 2019 - 26th November 2019
21st January 2020 - 31st March 2020
Time: 6.30pm - 8.30pm
The course will give a basic introduction to British Sign Language, which will help you to begin understanding and communicating with users. It will cover basic communication, including areas such as:
- BSL alphabet
- Expressing emotions
- Personal introductions and personal details used when meeting new people
- Talking about families and pets
- Using numbers
- Talking about places such as where you live and your home
- Telling the time, talking about time and using a calendar
- Travelling - public and private transport
- Getting around, asking for directions
- Talking about the weather
- Descriptions including colours
This will be suitable for people who wish to communicate with non-hearing friends, colleagues and family members but is also a fun way to begin to experience the culture associated with the deaf community.
Lots of pair and group work with an experienced teacher. The emphasis is on practical communication skills.
Exams and Assessments
No formal assessment but in-course assessment will enable students to monitor their progress and this will be reviewed by the tutor.
There is no formal qualification for this course. You will receive a College Certificate of attendance to show you have attended.
Frequently Asked Questions
Do I need previous knowledge?
Not for Part 1. Part 2 will assume you have attended Part 1 but you may have enough prior experience without this.
The cost of this course is £210 for each 10 week block.
How to Apply
If you wish to study this course you do not need to fill out an application form, simply call our Admissions Team on (01904) 770397 or visit our friendly team of advisors in the InfoZone, located behind the main reception desk.
Whilst every effort has been made to ensure the accuracy of the information contained in all our web pages, the content is naturally subject to change and we cannot guarantee its accuracy or currency. When necessary we reserve the right to make changes to the information on the site without notice.
If you have any questions about this course or any aspects of studying at York College please email email@example.com or call (01904) 770770.
Whilst every effort has been made to ensure the accuracy of the information contained in this webpage, the content is subject to change where necessary.
- York College Certificate - British Sign Language Beginners
- York College Certificate - British Sign Language Continuers
- York College Certificate - French for Beginners
- York College Certificate - German for Beginners
- York College Certificate - Italian Advanced
- York College Certificate - Italian for Beginners
- York College Certificate - Italian for Continuers
- York College Certificate - Reading the Booker Longlist
- York College Certificate - Spanish Advanced
- York College Certificate - Spanish for Beginners
- York College Certificate - Spanish for Continuers