Please see our Entry Requirements page for general entry requirement guidance.
What will I study?
Yourself, the people you know, the society you live in and other attitudes and societies.
- Families and Households – What do we mean by ‘the family’? How have families and relationships within them changed?
- Education – Why do girls now outperform boys at all levels of education? Does the education system prepare young people for work?
- Beliefs in Society – What are religions for? What impact do they have?
- Crime and Deviance – What is the difference between crime and deviance? Do men really commit more crime than women?
- Research Methods – How can we study society and collect data? What are the pros and cons of different research methods?
- Sociological Theory – How do different sociological theories and perspectives explain society? Are we living in a modern or post-modern era?
- Methods in the Context of Education – How can we use the different research methods available to us to study the education system? Are some methods more suitable than others when studying teachers or students?
Good course combinations
This course combines well with English; History; Law; Politics; Philosophy, Ethics & Religion; Media Studies; Film Studies and Psychology.
How will I be assessed?
All assessment in this course is via examination.
What could it lead to?
Sociology is highly regarded in a number of areas including nursing, law, policing, teaching, social work and journalism. Past students have gone on to study sociology, criminology, social policy and planning and anthropology.
Need some help?
Whilst every effort has been made to ensure the accuracy of the information contained in this webpage, the content is subject to change where necessary.
- Applied Law National Extended Certificate Level 3
- Applied Psychology Extended Certificate Level 3
- History (Ancient History) AS and A Level
- History (Late Medieval and Early Modern) AS and A Level
- History (Modern) AS and A Level
- Law AS and A Level
- Philosophy, Ethics & Religion AS and A Level
- Politics AS and A Level
- Psychology AS and A Level
- Sociology AS and A Level