Please see our Entry Requirements page for general entry requirement guidance.
One and two year courses.
What will I study?
Equivalent to 3 AS Levels in the first year (Introductory Diploma) and 3 A Levels when studied over two years (Extended Diploma), this course is designed to prepare you to work in one of the largest employment sectors in the world. You will develop skills in problem solving, customer care, teamwork and product development, as well as examining some of the major tourism trends within the industry that create the ‘tourist experience’. You will also have the opportunity to develop your employability skills through a work placement in the tourism industry.
This qualification covers topics such as:
- The UK Travel and Tourism Industry
- Marketing for Travel and Tourism
- The UK Conference and Event Industry
- Worldwide Passenger Airlines
- Customer Service
- Tour Guiding
- Travel Agency Operations
- Airline Cabin Crew
- Specialist Tourism
There is also the option to take part in a range of trips and residential visits during the course which are designed to support the topics being studied. Costs for these visits are additional and cover a range of local, national and international destinations. Some recent locations include Edinburgh, London, Barcelona, Seville and new for 2019 – New York!
How will I be assessed?
This qualification is a portfolio-based qualification. Internally assessed, you are required to create a portfolio of evidence which demonstrates achievement of 100% of the learning outcomes and assessment criteria associated with each unit. On completion of each unit, you must declare that the work produced is your own. The Assessor must countersign this. The main pieces of evidence for the portfolio could include (in no particular order):
- Assessor observation
- Witness testimony
- Practical tasks
- Record of professional discussion
- Record of oral and written questioning
- Candidate and peer reports
- Recognition of Prior Learning (RPL)
What could it lead to?
Students who achieve this qualification could progress to higher education to study Tourism, Business, Events or Hospitality Management qualifications, with a large number of students also progressing in employment and apprenticeship opportunities with employers across the tourism sector.
Past students have secured employment with:
- Thomas Cook
- Esprit Ski
- Hilton Hotels
- Food and Beverage Supervision Programme Level 3
- Hospitality Services NVQ Diploma Level 2
- Introduction to the Hospitality Industry Foundation Learning - Entry Level 3/Level 1
- Professional Cookery NVQ Diploma Level 2
- Professional Cookery NVQ Diploma Level 3
- Professional Patisserie and Confectionery Certificate Level 2
- Professional Patisserie and Confectionery NVQ Diploma Level 3
- Travel and Tourism Extended Certificate Level 2
- Travel and Tourism Introductory Diploma/Extended Diploma Level 3