3 GCSEs at grade C or above including English and Maths (or Functional Skills in English and Maths), or Professional Cookery Diploma Level 1.
What will I study?
This qualification is the result of collaboration between industry, education and City and Guilds. It takes into account the latest approach to food safety, health and safety and industry practices.
This qualification covers all the patisserie and confectionery skills and knowledge to show that you've got what it takes for a successful career as a pastry chef, or to improve your culinary ability.
Units covered include:
- Introduction to the Hospitality and Catering Industry
- Food Safety in Catering
- Health and Safety Awareness for Catering and Hospitality
- Introduction to Healthier Foods and Special Diets
- Prepare Hot and Cold Desserts and Puddings
- Produce Paste Products
- Produce Biscuits, Cakes and Sponges
- Prepare Fermented Dough Products
What could it lead to?
On completion of this qualification, students may progress onto the Professional Cookery Diploma Level 2 or into employment. You could also progress onto the Patisserie and Confectionery route of the Professional Cookery Diploma Level 3.
Potential job occupations include:
- Pastry Chef
- Fast Food Operative
- Food and Beverage Supervision Programme Level 3
- Hospitality Services NVQ Diploma Level 2
- Introduction to the Hospitality Industry Foundation Learning - Entry Level 3/Level 1
- Professional Cookery Diploma Level 1 (Foundation Learning)
- Professional Cookery Diploma Level 2
- Professional Cookery NVQ Diploma Level 3
- Professional Patisserie and Confectionery Certificate Level 2
- Professional Patisserie and Confectionery NVQ Diploma Level 3
- Travel and Tourism Extended Certificate Level 2
- Travel and Tourism Introductory Diploma/Extended Diploma Level 3