Students must have achieved one of the following Level 1 courses: Foundation Diploma in Hospitality, Diploma in Introduction to Professional Cookery or NVQ Preparation and Cooking. You will also need to have achieved 3 GCSEs at grade C, including Maths and English or Level 2 Functional Skills in Maths and English.
What will I study?
The content of this qualification is designed to meet the needs of candidates who want to work as chefs in the catering and hospitality sector by providing them with a wide range of high quality cooking skills that they can apply across a range of catering contexts.
Units covered include:
- Healthier Food and Special Diets
- Investigate the Hospitality and Catering Industry
- Food Safety in Catering
- Health and Safety Awareness for Catering and Hospitality
- Catering Operations, Costs and Menu-planning
- Apply Workplace Skills
You will prepare and cook the following: stock, soups, sauces, vegetables, fruit, poultry, fish, meats, shellfish, grains, pasta, puddings, dough products, pastry, cakes and biscuits.
How will I be assessed?
Written assignments, short answer tests and practical examinations.
What could it lead to?
Students may progress into employment, or onto Level 3 Professional Cookery, Level 3 Patisserie and Confectionery or Level 3 Hospitality Supervision courses.
Potential job occupations include:
- Food and Beverage Supervision Programme Level 3
- Hospitality Services NVQ Diploma Level 2
- Introduction to the Hospitality Industry Foundation Learning - Entry Level 3/Level 1
- Professional Cookery Diploma Level 1 (Foundation Learning)
- Professional Cookery NVQ Diploma Level 2
- Professional Cookery NVQ Diploma Level 3
- Professional Patisserie and Confectionery Certificate Level 2
- Professional Patisserie and Confectionery NVQ Diploma Level 3
- Travel and Tourism Extended Certificate Level 2
- Travel and Tourism Introductory Diploma/Extended Diploma Level 3