This qualification is intended for individuals who want to improve their interpersonal and communication skills; who want to learn initial counselling skills, in order to help and support others either in a voluntary or employed capacity; or who want to find out more about counselling. The course does not teach you to be a counsellor, but it may help you to decide whether or not this is a career you might want to pursue.
Full commitment and willingness to reflect on skills and engage with some abstract concepts of counselling.
Dates and Times
This course provides an introduction to the qualities and skills involved in the development of supportive interpersonal relationships. During each session, students can expect to be involved in a variety of learning experiences including individual, paired, small group and whole group activities, in addition to formally taught components. A willingness to participate in all aspects of the course is essential. In addition to the 36 hours of class contact time, you will need to complete approximately one hour of self-directed study per week.
Students will learn how to:
- Work within the limitations of the helping role
- Establish boundaries for helping work
- Communicate empathic understanding
- Focus on the subject’s agenda
- Understand the importance of self-awareness in helping work
- Use listening and responding skills
- Use review and feedback to develop initial counselling skills
Exams and Assessments
Submission of portfolio of evidence and Individual Learning Review.
Self-reflection and evaluation, tutor observation, and evaluation of peer and tutor feedback are continuous throughout the course. Students will be expected to use all aspects of formative feedback constructively to support their learning experience.
Internal Assessment consists of four elements:
- Individual Learning Review, consisting of weekly self-reflective entries that explore learning through input, discussion, experience, reading and personal development.
- Tutor observation and feedback on skills practice sessions.
- Peer feedback on skills practice sessions.
- Guided written work.
External Assessment consists of a written self-review exercise, which is undertaken during class time towards the end of the course.
CPCAB Level 2 Award in Counselling Skills
The cost of this course is £325. This fee may be reduced for individuals who meet the funding requirements.
Courses costing more than £200 can usually be paid for in instalments. Please contact the College for details.
How to Apply
If you wish to study this course you do not need to fill out an application form, simply call our Admissions Team on (01904) 770397 or visit our friendly team of advisors in the InfoZone, located behind the main reception desk.
If you have any questions about this course or any aspects of studying at York College please email email@example.com or call (01904) 770770.
Whilst every effort has been made to ensure the accuracy of the information contained in this webpage, the content is subject to change where necessary.
- City and Guilds Level 3 Diploma in Dental Nursing
- CPCAB Level 2 Award in Counselling Skills
- Distance Learning Level 2 Certificate in Common Health Conditions
- Distance Learning Level 2 Certificate in Falls Prevention Awareness
- Distance Learning Level 2 Certificate in Information, Advice or Guidance
- Distance Learning Level 2 Certificate in Preparing to Work in Adult Social Care
- Distance Learning Level 2 Certificate in the Awareness of Mental Health Problems
- Distance Learning Level 2 Certificate in the Principles of Care Planning
- Distance Learning Level 2 Certificate in the Principles of Dementia Care
- Distance Learning Level 2 Certificate in the Principles of End of Life Care
- Distance Learning Level 2 Certificate in the Principles of the Prevention and Control of Infection in Health Care Settings
- Distance Learning Level 2 Certificate in Understanding Autism
- Distance Learning Level 2 Certificate in Understanding Dignity and Safeguarding in Health and Social Care
- Distance Learning Level 2 Certificate in Understanding Nutrition and Health
- Distance Learning Level 2 Certificate in Understanding the Care and Management of Diabetes
- Distance Learning Level 2 Certificate in Understanding the Safe Handling of Medication in Health and Social Care
- York St John University Certificate in Counselling Skills