This qualification aims to provide you with a comprehensive understanding of issues related to different types of learning disabilities and how these affect individuals in their daily lives. By studying this course, you will cover a range of topics, including safeguarding and personalisation in social care.
NCFE Level 2 (online distance learning, no exams involved).
Guided Learning Hours - 120
Study hours Per Week - 12
(*please note these are average and estimated figures and may not be a true representative for all individuals*)
This particular short course is just 12 weeks long.
How is this course delivered?
This course is available in both paper and online format, and up to you to choose which option you would like to study with depending on your preferred method of learning; making the course flexible and easy for the learner. Personal tutors are assigned to each learner, to help ensure you have the support you need throughout the duration of the short course.
How to Apply
If you wish to study this course simply visit the How to Enrol webpage and select BDU incl. Distance Learning from the first drop down menu and then choose your desired course from the second drop down.
Unit 1: Understand the context of supporting individuals with learning disabilities
In this unit you will contextualise the support provided to individuals with learning disabilities, including gaining an understanding of inclusion, advocacy and empowerment. You will also consider the causes, nature and characteristics of learning disabilities.
Unit 2: Principles of safeguarding and protection in health and social care
Within this unit you will discover how to recognise signs of abuse and understand how to respond to a situation of alleged or suspected abuse. You will also look into ways to reduce the likelihood of abuse and how to report unsafe practices.
Unit 3: Introduction to personalisation in social care
In this unit you will consider the importance of adopting a personalised approach to care when supporting individuals with learning disabilities, as well as looking at the systems currently in place which encourage personalisation.
Unit 4: Principles of positive risk-taking for individuals with disabilities
Within this unit you will gain an understanding of the importance of using positive, person-centred risk assessment to support individuals with decisions about risk-taking. This unit also explores the ways in which support can be given to manage identified risks.
Unit 5: Introductory awareness of autistic spectrum conditions
In this unit you will focus on Autistic Spectrum Conditions (ASCs) and the different experiences of individuals living with an ASC. You will consider person-centred ways of supporting individuals who have an ASC, including the different systems which can be used to enable communication.
Unit 6: Principles of supporting individuals with a learning disability to access healthcare
Within this unit you will gain a comprehensive understanding of the roles of different professionals working with individuals with learning disabilities in healthcare services. This unit also covers how healthcare plans and health checks underpin long-term health and well-being and explores issues that individuals may face when accessing healthcare services.
If you have any questions about this course or any aspects of studying at York College please email firstname.lastname@example.org or call (01904) 770770.
Whilst every effort has been made to ensure the accuracy of the information contained in this webpage, the content is subject to change where necessary.
- City and Guilds Level 3 Diploma in Dental Nursing
- Distance Learning Level 2 Certificate in Common Health Conditions
- Distance Learning Level 2 Certificate in Falls Prevention Awareness
- Distance Learning Level 2 Certificate in Information, Advice or Guidance
- Distance Learning Level 2 Certificate in Preparing to Work in Adult Social Care
- Distance Learning Level 2 Certificate in the Awareness of Mental Health Problems
- Distance Learning Level 2 Certificate in the Principles of Care Planning
- Distance Learning Level 2 Certificate in the Principles of Dementia Care
- Distance Learning Level 2 Certificate in the Principles of End of Life Care
- Distance Learning Level 2 Certificate in the Principles of the Prevention and Control of Infection in Health Care Settings
- Distance Learning Level 2 Certificate in Understanding Autism
- Distance Learning Level 2 Certificate in Understanding Dignity and Safeguarding in Health and Social Care
- Distance Learning Level 2 Certificate in Understanding Nutrition and Health
- Distance Learning Level 2 Certificate in Understanding the Care and Management of Diabetes
- Distance Learning Level 2 Certificate in Understanding the Safe Handling of Medication in Health and Social Care
- Distance Learning NCFE Level 2 Certificate in Principles of Working with Individuals with Learning Disabilities
- Distance Learning NCFE Level 2 Certificate in Understanding Common Childhood Illnesses
- Distance Learning NCFE Level 2 Certificate in Understanding Specific Learning Difficulties
- Level 2 Award Introduction to Counselling Skills
- Level 3 Certificate Counselling Skills
- Level 4 Diploma Therapeutic Counselling
- York St John University Certificate in Counselling Skills