This qualification is aimed to increase the learners understanding and knowledge of common childhood illnesses and allowing us to understand how to support the development and well-being of infants and children. There are numerous different illnesses that can be experience in childhood but there are several which are common in infants and children. For those who work, or wish to work, with infants and children it is imperative that an in-depth knowledge of common childhood illnesses is established. The purpose of this course is to not only ensure that infants and children that are unwell receive the care they require, but also to reduce the possibility of illnesses spreading.
NCFE Level 2 (online distance learning, no exams involved.
Guided Learning Hours - 129
Study hours per week - 12
*please note these are average and estimated figures and may not be a true representative for all individuals.
How to Apply
If you wish to study this course you do not need to fill out an application form, simply visit our friendly team of advisors in the InfoZone, located behind the main reception desk. Alternatively; you can enrol over the telephone on 01904 770770.
Most students over the age of 19 will be able to study this course for free, however, please contact us if you are aged 19-23 and do not yet have a full level 2 qualification (5 GCSEs grade A*-C, NVQ Level 2 or higher) as additional eligibility criteria may apply.
This particular short course is just 12 weeks long.
How it helps you
This course will provide you with a strong understanding of common childhood illnesses, focusing on how to provide a safe and healthy environment for infants and children, as well as how to identify if a child is unwell and also how to manage acute and chronic health conditions in early year’s settings.
How is this course delivered
This course is available in both paper and online format, and up to you to choose which option you choose depending on your preferred method of learning; making the course flexible and easy for the learner. Personal tutors are assigned to each learner, to help ensure you have the support you need throughout the duration of the short course.
Understanding how to provide a safe and healthy environment for babies and young children
This unit explores ways to minimise cross infection and how to maintain a safe and hygienic environment for babies and young children.
Understand common childhood illnesses
This unit helps you to recognise when a child is unwell and common childhood illnesses that may occur. You will consider the policies and procedures relating to unwell children in an early years setting.
Understand health emergencies and specific health conditions in an early years setting
This unit allows you to consider the role of the practitioner in relation to common accidents and basic first aid as well as serious illness requiring emergency support. Acute and chronic health conditions including how to manage allergies in the setting will also be analysed.
If you have any questions about this course or any aspects of studying at York College please email firstname.lastname@example.org or call (01904) 770770.
Whilst every effort has been made to ensure the accuracy of the information contained in this webpage, the content is subject to change where necessary.
- CACHE Level 2 Preparing to work in Adult Social Care
- City and Guilds Level 3 Diploma in Dental Nursing
- Distance Learning Level 2 Certificate in Common Health Conditions
- Distance Learning Level 2 Certificate in Falls Prevention Awareness
- Distance Learning Level 2 Certificate in Information, Advice or Guidance
- Distance Learning Level 2 Certificate in Preparing to Work in Adult Social Care
- Distance Learning Level 2 Certificate in the Awareness of Mental Health Problems
- Distance Learning Level 2 Certificate in the Principles of Care Planning
- Distance Learning Level 2 Certificate in the Principles of Dementia Care
- Distance Learning Level 2 Certificate in the Principles of End of Life Care
- Distance Learning Level 2 Certificate in the Principles of the Prevention and Control of Infection in Health Care Settings
- Distance Learning Level 2 Certificate in Understanding Autism
- Distance Learning Level 2 Certificate in Understanding Dignity and Safeguarding in Health and Social Care
- Distance Learning Level 2 Certificate in Understanding Nutrition and Health
- Distance Learning Level 2 Certificate in Understanding the Care and Management of Diabetes
- Distance Learning Level 2 Certificate in Understanding the Safe Handling of Medication in Health and Social Care
- Distance Learning NCFE Level 2 Certificate in Understanding Common Childhood Illnesses
- Level 2 Award Introduction to Counselling Skills
- Level 2 Award in Working with Young People
- Level 3 Certificate Counselling Skills
- Level 4 Diploma Therapeutic Counselling
- NCFE Level 3 Certificate in Understanding Mental Health
- York St John University Certificate in Counselling Skills