This course is subject to approval by the awarding organisation.
Who is this course aimed at?
Level 4 Diploma in Therapeutic Counselling is designed for those learners who are seeking to be professionally qualified counsellors.
This qualification is made up of credit rated units developed in association with Skills for Health, the Sector Skills Council for the Health and Social Care Sector. When combined with the ABC Level 3 Certificate in Counselling Skills, it meets the basic training requirement for recognition as a qualified counsellor.
You must have a level 3 ABC Certificate in Counselling or equivalent. You will also take part in an interview with a course tutor.
Dates and Times
16th September 2019 - 28th June 2021, 1.15pm - 4.30pm, Mondays
16th September 2019 - 28th June 2021, 6.00pm - 9.00pm, Mondays
18th September 2019 - 30th June 2021, 6.00pm - 9.00pm, Wednesdays
28th April 2020 - 26th April 2022, 12.45pm - 4.30pm, Tuesdays
28th April 2020 - 26th April 2022, 5.30pm - 9.00pm, Tuesdays
This is a portfolio based qualification and during the course you will cover the following 7 topics:
- Unit 1 – Professional Organisational issues in Counselling
- Unit 2 – Counselling in a Diverse Society
- Unit 3 – Counselling Theory
- Unit 4 – Advanced Counselling Skills
- Unit 5 – Self awareness for Counsellors
- Unit 6 – Research methodologies in Counselling
- Unit 7 – Counselling Placement
You will complete this qualification with a comprehensive and full understanding of the following:
- Ethical frameworks, including the importance of setting, supervision and casework management in counselling
- The impact diverse culture and heritage can have on the client/counsellor relationship in a multicultural society
- One major therapeutic model
- How to conduct a counselling session with a client in an ethical, effective and safe way
- How to increase self-awareness
- The purpose and importance of Research in counselling
Exams and Assessments
Externally assessed Portfolio.
ABC Level 4 Diploma in Counselling.
Learners who complete this qualification may progress to Postgraduate and Post Qualifying courses in counselling studies. Many learners progress towards national accreditation status with professional lead bodies.
£1,441 per year.
In addition to the course fees there will be supplementary costs for compulsory clinical supervision, personal therapy and BACP membership that will be discussed at interview.
If you have any questions about this course or any aspects of studying at York College please email email@example.com or call (01904) 770770.
Whilst every effort has been made to ensure the accuracy of the information contained in this webpage, the content is subject to change where necessary.