Who is this course aimed at?
Level 4 Diploma in Therapeutic Counselling is designed for those learners who are seeking to be professionally qualified counsellors.
This qualification is made up of credit rated units developed in association with Skills for Health, the Sector Skills Council for the Health and Social Care Sector. When combined with the ABC Level 3 Certificate in Counselling Skills, it meets the basic training requirement for recognition as a qualified counsellor.
You must have a level 3 ABC Certificate in Counselling or equivalent. You will also take part in an interview with a course tutor.
Dates and Times
This is a portfolio based qualification and during the course you will cover the following 7 topics:
- Unit 1 – Professional Organisational issues in Counselling
- Unit 2 – Counselling in a Diverse Society
- Unit 3 – Counselling Theory
- Unit 4 – Advanced Counselling Skills
- Unit 5 – Self awareness for Counsellors
- Unit 6 – Research methodologies in Counselling
- Unit 7 – Counselling Placement
You will complete this qualification with a comprehensive and full understanding of the following:
- Ethical frameworks, including the importance of setting, supervision and casework management in counselling
- The impact diverse culture and heritage can have on the client/counsellor relationship in a multicultural society
- One major therapeutic model
- How to conduct a counselling session with a client in an ethical, effective and safe way
- How to increase self-awareness
- The purpose and importance of Research in counselling
Exams and Assessments
Externally assessed Portfolio.
ABC Level 4 Diploma in Counselling.
Learners who complete this qualification may progress to Postgraduate and Post Qualifying courses in counselling studies. Many learners progress towards national accreditation status with professional lead bodies.
If you have any questions about this course or any aspects of studying at York College please email firstname.lastname@example.org or call (01904) 770770.
Whilst every effort has been made to ensure the accuracy of the information contained in this webpage, the content is subject to change where necessary.
- CACHE Level 2 Preparing to work in Adult Social Care
- City and Guilds Level 3 Diploma in Dental Nursing
- Distance Learning Level 2 Certificate in Common Health Conditions
- Distance Learning Level 2 Certificate in Falls Prevention Awareness
- Distance Learning Level 2 Certificate in Information, Advice or Guidance
- Distance Learning Level 2 Certificate in Preparing to Work in Adult Social Care
- Distance Learning Level 2 Certificate in the Awareness of Mental Health Problems
- Distance Learning Level 2 Certificate in the Principles of Care Planning
- Distance Learning Level 2 Certificate in the Principles of Dementia Care
- Distance Learning Level 2 Certificate in the Principles of End of Life Care
- Distance Learning Level 2 Certificate in the Principles of the Prevention and Control of Infection in Health Care Settings
- Distance Learning Level 2 Certificate in Understanding Autism
- Distance Learning Level 2 Certificate in Understanding Dignity and Safeguarding in Health and Social Care
- Distance Learning Level 2 Certificate in Understanding Nutrition and Health
- Distance Learning Level 2 Certificate in Understanding the Care and Management of Diabetes
- Distance Learning Level 2 Certificate in Understanding the Safe Handling of Medication in Health and Social Care
- Distance Learning NCFE Level 2 Certificate in Understanding Common Childhood Illnesses
- Level 2 Award Introduction to Counselling Skills
- Level 2 Award in Working with Young People
- Level 3 Certificate Counselling Skills
- Level 4 Diploma Therapeutic Counselling
- York St John University Certificate in Counselling Skills