If you work or are looking to work in a role such as a career advisor, counsellor, housing support worker or peer mentor, where the provision of information, advice or guidance is a requirement, this course is for you. Potential employers for roles within this field include: local authorities, careers advice services, voluntary sector organisations, student services, citizen advice services and housing associations.
There are no specific entry requirements however learners should have a minimum of level one in literacy and numeracy or equivalent.
TQUK Level 2 Certificate.
Who Is It For
To study this course all students must be aged 19 or over, most students over the age of 19 will be able to study this course for free, however, please contact us if you are aged 19-23 and do not yet have a full level 2 qualification (5 GCSEs grade A*-C, NVQ Level 2 or higher) as additional eligibility criteria may apply.
Guided Learning Hours - Minimum: 114, Maximum: 114
Please note these are average and estimated figures and may not be a true representative for all individuals.
How to Apply
If you wish to study this course simply visit the How to Enrol webpage and select BDU incl. Distance Learning from the first drop down menu and then choose your desired course from the second drop down.
Most students over the age of 19 will be able to study this course for free, however, please contact us if you are aged 19-23 and do not yet have a full level 2 qualification (5 GCSEs grade A*-C, NVQ Level 2 or higher) as additional eligibility criteria may apply.
This particular short course is just 12 weeks long.
How It Helps You
This course will equip you with the practical skills needed to successfully convey information, advice or guidance in a wide range of situations and sectors. This course covers a variety of key topics crucial to providing an excellent and efficient service, including questioning, listening and communicating techniques, the importance of confidentiality and how to overcome barriers.
Completing this course can get you recognised and put you in line for professional development, and a great addition to your CV.
How Is The Course Delivered
This course is available in online format, making the course flexible and easy for you to access. Personal tutors are assigned to each learner, to ensure you have the support you need throughout the duration of the short course.
UNIT 1 – Information, advice or guidance in practice
This unit will provide an understanding of the various differences between information, advice and guidance and the requirements of different clients and how these are best met. It will also help you to gain in-depth knowledge of the boundaries and responsibilities present when offering information, advice and guidance including signposting, referrals and record keeping.
UNIT 2 – Developing interaction skills for information, advice or guidance
How to interact with clients, executing appropriate and effective questioning techniques, listening skills and non-verbal communication are all developed within this unit. You will also gain knowledge of the impact of values, beliefs and attitudes on any interactions you may encounter, as well as the importance of confidentiality and impartiality. A further element of this unit is the consideration of how best to identify personal strengths and development needs.
UNIT 3 – Signposting and referral in information, advice or guidance
This unit will provide you with an understanding of the difference between signposting and referrals, when it is appropriate to refer or signpost an individual organisation’s procedures. It will also help you to gain knowledge of good practice when signposting and referring, including recording, monitoring and evaluating.
UNIT 4 – Information, advice or guidance in context
This unit will provide you with an understanding of information, advice or guidance in the context of your won practice and a specific group of clients, exploring different ways of assisting clients to explore and make choices. Knowledge on discriminatory practices and behaviours affecting specific clients groups, potential barriers and how to overcome them is built within this module.
UNIT 5– Skills for advice suppliers
This unit provides you with an understanding of the purpose and process of an advice interview, examining the relationship between client and advisor, the advisor’s role, stages of the advice interview and how to ensure client confidentiality. Also a key part of this section will be to gain knowledge of social policy in advice work and sources of information, negotiating effectively on a client’s behalf and support and action planning.
If you would like to enrol, you can do so via our Enrol Now page.
If you have any further questions about York College please email email@example.com or call (01904) 770770.
Whilst every effort has been made to ensure the accuracy of the information contained in this webpage, the content is subject to change where necessary.
- Distance Learning Level 2 Certificate in Common Health Conditions
- Distance Learning Level 2 Certificate in Falls Prevention Awareness
- Distance Learning Level 2 Certificate in Information, Advice or Guidance
- Distance Learning Level 2 Certificate in Preparing to Work in Adult Social Care
- Distance Learning Level 2 Certificate in Principles of Supporting Individuals with Learning Disabilities
- Distance Learning Level 2 Certificate in the Awareness of Mental Health Problems
- Distance Learning Level 2 Certificate in the Principles of Care Planning
- Distance Learning Level 2 Certificate in the Principles of Dementia Care
- Distance Learning Level 2 Certificate in the Principles of End of Life Care
- Distance Learning Level 2 Certificate in the Principles of the Prevention and Control of Infection in Health Care Settings
- Distance Learning Level 2 Certificate in Understanding Autism
- Distance Learning Level 2 Certificate in Understanding Behaviour that Challenges
- Distance Learning Level 2 Certificate in Understanding Nutrition and Health
- Distance Learning Level 2 Certificate in Understanding Specific Learning Difficulties
- Distance Learning Level 2 Certificate in Understanding the Care and Management of Diabetes
- Distance Learning Level 2 Certificate in Understanding the Safe Handling of Medication in Health and Social Care
- Level 2 Award in Counselling Concepts
- Level 3 Certificate Counselling Skills
- Level 4 Diploma Therapeutic Counselling