This course provides the learner with knowledge of the principles of face and body massage, and how massage therapists practice.
Students will learn health, safety and hygiene; human anatomy; physiology and pathology; and how to prepare the treatment area, themself and their client. They will also demonstrate competence in dealing with clients using consultation techniques, using that information for planning treatments.
Students will learn the benefits and techniques of massage and be able to provide treatments safely and effectively to clients in different circumstances.
They will learn to reflect on the outcomes of treatments, and offer a series of treatments to achieve a desirable result.
Aspects of business studies are also included.
This is a practitioner level qualification.
Students generally require a minimum of three GCSEs (or equivalent) at grade D or above to gain entry to the course. Mature students may be exempt from this requirement if they have appropriate work experience/life skills or additional qualifications. Students will need to demonstrate enthusiasm and interest.
Dates and Times
19th September 2017 - 3rd July 2018
Time: 18.00pm - 21.00pm
- Health, safety and hygiene for complementary therapies
- Anatomy, physiology and pathology of all systems
- Principles and practices of complementary therapies
- History and origins of popular therapies
- Code of practice and ethics
- Client consultation and treatment objectives
- Contra-indications and referrals
- Practical application of body massage techniques
- Aftercare advice and record-keeping
- Case studies and client treatments
- Interpersonal skills
Tutor input and demonstrations are followed by practical application of skills and knowledge. Assignments, work packages and portfolio-building are an integral part of the programme. Home study is vital for completion of theory work (approximately four hours per week).
Learners are encouraged to provide their own models; both male and female models are required. Clients may also be booked through College Hairdressing and Beauty Reception.The practise session will include working on both male and female models as well as modelling for other students within the group.
Exams and Assessments
Students will need to prove they are capable in every aspect of the course. Once the skill has been ‘mastered', continuous assessment, both practical and theory, will take place at the tutor's discretion. Learners will be assessed by practical observations in a realistic environment on paying clients, and through assignment work, which will include oral and written questions. Case studies will also be included in the assessment process; you will be required to provide your own clients. It is likely that practice classes will be mixed sex and you will be required to work on one another.
A portfolio of evidence is required to complete the course and support assessments. The portfolio must be handed in at the end of the course for internal verification.
Please note: to achieve successful attainment of this VTCT qualification, there will be two mandatory exams: Health, Safety and Hygiene; and Anatomy, Physiology and Pathology. Independent assessment papers are set by the awarding body and will be taken under exam conditions.
Employment as a Masseuse
Further study in the following:
NVQ Beauty Therapy
Level 3 Complementary Therapies (including Aromatherapy and Reflexology)
Hot Stone Therapy - one-day workshop.
Foundation Degree in Beauty, Holistic Therapies and Spa Treatments.
VTCT Level 3 Diploma in Body Massage.
Courses costing more than £200 can usually be paid for in instalments. Please contact the college for details.
How to Apply
If you have any questions about this course or any aspects of studying at York College please email email@example.com or call (01904) 770770.
Whilst every effort has been made to ensure the accuracy of the information contained in this webpage, the content is subject to change where necessary.
- Beauty Therapy - Hot Stone Massage
- City & Guilds Level 1 Certificate Introduction to the Hair & Beauty Sector
- City & Guilds Level 3 Award in Facial Electrical
- City and Guilds Level 2 VRQ Diploma in Beauty Therapy
- City and Guilds Level 3 Diploma in Women's Hairdressing
- City and Guilds Level 3 VRQ Diploma in Beauty Therapy Techniques
- City and Guilds Level 4 Diploma Management Practice & Advanced Techniques in the Hair & Beauty Sector
- VTCT Level 3 Diploma in Body Massage
- York College Certificate - Getting the Best from your Make-up
- York College Certificate - Introduction to Hand and Arm Massage
- York College Certificate - Introduction to Reflexology
- York College Certificate - Looking After Your Hands & Nails
- York College Certificate - Providing a Simple Back Massage