Who is this course aimed at?
Adults wanting an introduction to hairdressing.
This is a condensed course enabling those who have other commitments to study on a part time basis.
Overview of the course
- Practical demonstrations
- Practical activities to develop skills
- Working on each other and blocks
- Providing hairdressing services to clients
- Theory / knowledge input – with direction to home study.
- Ongoing assessment
Genuine desire and interest in hairdressing
Good work ethic
Good communication skills
Commitment to home study (at least 3 hrs a week)
Dates and Times
23rd September 2020 - 7th July 2021, Wednesday evening 6.00pm-9.00pm.
The course runs for 1 academic year.
3hrs x 35 weeks.
- Working in the Hair Industry
- Follow Health and Safety Practice in the Salon
- Client Consultation for Hair Services
- Shampoo and Condition the Hair and Scalp
- Setting and styling
- Blow drying hair
- Customer Service in the Hair and Beauty Industry
Other work that you will cover as part of the course
- Basic Cutting
- Basic Colouring
The college has 2 large fully equipped Hairdressing Salons in which students will work. In addition to this there is a fully functioning Hair and Beauty reception.
- Demonstration of hairdressing techniques
- Opportunities for students to practice skills during lessons
- Initial theory input followed by directed home / independent study.
- Students are assessed through observation of practical skills and completion of home study tasks.
- Students will also be required to produce assignments and successfully complete end of unit tests.
- This Level 1 qualification provides students with the opportunity to progress onto a Level 2 hairdressing qualification.
£0 - £941
Students are generally required to purchase a kit; however, we are currently reviewing this situation.
All students will be required to wear a uniform. The details of this will be provided at a later date.
Skills you will develop
Students will also develop communication techniques, interpersonal skills and the ability to work well as a team.
This Level 1 qualification provides students with the opportunity to progress onto a Level 2 hairdressing qualification.
Students will gain skills that would enable them to work / assist in a hairdressing salon. Some adult learners chose to provide hairdressing services to family and friends. Ideally students will progress onto a L2 hairdressing qualification to further develop skills.
About the course tutors
All our teachers are fully qualified with up to date experience in industry.
If you would like to enrol, you can do so via our Enrol Now page.
If you have any further questions about York College please email firstname.lastname@example.org or call (01904) 770770.
Whilst every effort has been made to ensure the accuracy of the information contained in this webpage, the content is subject to change where necessary.
- Beauty Therapy Hot Stones (1 day) York College Certificate
- Beauty Therapy Level 2 Diploma (VRQ) City and Guilds
- Beauty Therapy Simple Back Massage(1/2 day) York College Certificate
- City & Guilds Level 1 Certificate in Hairdressing
- City & Guilds Level 2 Diploma in Women's Hairdressing
- City & Guilds Level 2 NVQ Diploma in Barbering
- City & Guilds Level 3 VRQ Diploma in Beauty Therapy Techniques
- City and Guilds Level 3 Diploma in Womens Hairdressing
- Level 3 VTCT Certificate in Swedish Massage
- VTCT Level 3 Diploma in Reflexology
- VTCT Level 4 Diploma in Salon Management