Who is this course aimed at?
Adults wanting to develop hairdressing skills.
This is a condensed course enabling those who have other commitments to study on a part time basis.
Overview of the course
- Practical demonstrations
- Practical activities to develop skills
- Working on each other and blocks
- Providing hairdressing services to clients
- Theory / knowledge input – with direction to home study.
- Ongoing assessment
Ideally a Level 1 Certificate in Hairdressing or equivalent.
Good work ethic.
Good communication skills.
Commitment to home study (at least 3 hrs a week).
Dates and Times
23rd September 2020 - 7th July 2021, Wednesday evening 6.00pm - 9.00pm.
The course runs for 1 academic year
3hrs x 35 weeks.
Unit 201 working in the hair industry
Unit 202 follow health and safety practice in the salon
Unit 203 client consultation for hair services
Unit 204 shampoo and condition the hair and scalp
Unit 205 promote products and services to clients in a salon
Unit 206 cut women’s hair
Unit 207 colour and lighten hair
Unit 208 perm and neutralise hair
Unit 209 the art of dressing hair
Unit 212 create an image based on a theme within the hair and beauty sector
Unit 216 salon reception duties
The college has 2 large fully equipped Hairdressing Salons in which students will work. In addition to this there is a fully functioning Hair and Beauty reception.
- Demonstration of hairdressing techniques
- Opportunities for students to practice skills during lessons
- Initial theory input followed by directed home / independent study.
- Students will also be required to produce assignments and successfully complete end of unit tests.
- This Level 1 qualification provides students with the opportunity to progress onto a Level 2 hairdressing qualification.
£0 - £3,345
Students are generally required to purchase a kit; however, we are currently reviewing this situation.
All students will be required to wear a uniform. The details of this will be provided at a later date.
Reasons to choose this course
York College have 2 large fully equipped Hairdressing salons, an inviting commercial salon reception, 3 Media Make up workshops and 2 Beauty Therapy salons. Adult learners will have access to professional products and equipment (including Loreal and Eve Taylor) and will also have the opportunity to join in any with any day time extracurricular activities should they wish to do so. This could include competition work and additional product training.
Skills you will develop
Students will also develop communication techniques, interpersonal skills and the ability to work well as a team.
Following successful completion of level 2, students will the opportunity to progress onto a Level 3 hairdressing qualification.
Students will gain skills that would enable them to work in a hairdressing salon. Some adult learners chose to provide hairdressing services on a mobile / self-employment basis.
About the course tutors
All our teachers are fully qualified with up to date experience in industry.
If you would like to enrol, you can do so via our Enrol Now page.
If you have any further questions about York College please email firstname.lastname@example.org or call (01904) 770770.
Whilst every effort has been made to ensure the accuracy of the information contained in this webpage, the content is subject to change where necessary.
- Beauty Therapy Hot Stones (1 day) York College Certificate
- Beauty Therapy Level 2 Diploma (VRQ) City and Guilds
- Beauty Therapy Simple Back Massage(1/2 day) York College Certificate
- City & Guilds Level 1 Certificate in Hairdressing
- City & Guilds Level 2 Diploma in Women's Hairdressing
- City & Guilds Level 2 NVQ Diploma in Barbering
- City & Guilds Level 3 VRQ Diploma in Beauty Therapy Techniques
- City and Guilds Level 3 Diploma in Womens Hairdressing
- Level 3 VTCT Certificate in Swedish Massage
- VTCT Level 3 Diploma in Reflexology
- VTCT Level 4 Diploma in Salon Management