Who is this course aimed at?
The VTCT Level 4 Diploma in Salon Management is a vocationally related qualification that will prepare you to gain employment as a salon manager, as the units contained in this qualification cover all the skills and knowledge required for this role. Students should ideally be working in a salon / spa environment to be able to meet the unit requirements. Students who are not in suitable employment will be given the opportunity to collect evidence from activities based in the college salons (work experience). This will require further attendance / extra days.
Overview of the course
This qualification will enable you to seek employment as a hair and beauty salon manager. This qualification is suitable if you have no prior or informal experience in a managerial role within a salon, as it covers the full breadth of units you would need to successfully carry out the role of a salon manager.
A Level 3 in either Hairdressing, Beauty Therapy or Media Make up required.
Students must be a minimum of 18 years of age.
GCSE Maths and English at grade 4 or higher.
Current employment in a related industry is preferred but not essential.
Dates and Times
Students who are not in the above employment will be required to complete work experience at college. This will involve attending extra days which may differ each term depending on individual requirements.
Students will be required to complete the units below to gain the qualification;
- UV40462 – Management of Health Safety and Security in the Salon
- UV40464 – Quality Management of Client Care in The Hair and Beauty Sector
- UV40465 – Sales Management in The Hair and Beauty sector
- UV40466 – Public Relations in the Hair and Beauty Sector
- UV40467 – Salon Management
- UV30452 – Research in the Hair and Beauty Sector
- UV30457 – Salon Design for the Hair and Beauty Sector 0r…
- UV30460 – Marketing in the Hair and Beauty Sector
This is a Level 4 qualification and students will need to demonstrate research skills, academic writing and independent learning. Initial input and guidance will be provided by the tutor both in the college environment and online.
You will be required to present a portfolio of evidence. Your tutor / assessor will provide guidance on how to prepare the portfolio of evidence and how to show practical achievement, and understanding of the knowledge required to successfully complete this qualification.
Evidence in the portfolio may take the following forms:
- Observed work
- Witness statements
- Audio-visual media
- Evidence of prior learning or attainment
- Written questions
- Oral questions
- Case studies
All evidence should be documented in the portfolio and cross referenced to unit outcomes. Constructing the portfolio of evidence should not be left to the end of the course.
All students will be required to wear a uniform. The details of this will be provided at a later date.
Reasons to choose this course
York College have 2 large fully equipped Hairdressing salons, an inviting commercial salon reception, 3 Media Make up workshops and 2 Beauty Therapy salons. Adult learners will have access to professional products and equipment (including Loreal and Eve Taylor) and will also have the opportunity to join in any with any day time extracurricular activities should they wish to do so.
Skills you will develop
Students will also develop communication techniques, interpersonal skills and the ability to work well as a team.
When you have successfully completed this qualification, you will be in a position to either
- Move into paid employment
- Accept additional responsibilities in your salon
- Aspire to promotion
- Use this as a platform for continued higher education study
About the course tutors
All our teachers are fully qualified with up to date experience in industry.
If you would like to enrol, you can do so via our Enrol Now page.
If you have any further questions about York College please email email@example.com or call (01904) 770770.
Whilst every effort has been made to ensure the accuracy of the information contained in this webpage, the content is subject to change where necessary.
- Beauty Therapy Hot Stones (1 day) York College Certificate
- Beauty Therapy Level 2 Diploma (VRQ) City and Guilds
- Beauty Therapy Simple Back Massage(1/2 day) York College Certificate
- City & Guilds Level 1 Award in the Introduction to Hair and Beauty Sector
- City & Guilds Level 1 Certificate in Hairdressing
- City & Guilds Level 2 Diploma in Women's Hairdressing
- City & Guilds Level 2 NVQ Diploma in Barbering
- City & Guilds Level 3 VRQ Diploma in Beauty Therapy Techniques
- City and Guilds Level 3 Diploma in Womens Hairdressing
- Intimate Waxing
- Level 3 VTCT Certificate in Swedish Massage
- VTCT Level 3 Diploma in Reflexology
- VTCT Level 4 Diploma in Salon Management