Who is this course aimed at?
The Level 2 NVQ Diploma in Barbering is designed for students who work in or wish to pursue a career in barbering / men’s hairdressing.
The Level 2 NVQ Diploma in Barbering provides the necessary skills and knowledge to provide occupational competency as a barber.
Overview of the course
This qualification allows the student to learn, develop and practice the skills required to provide barbering services.
The diploma covers Health and Safety, cutting and styling men’s hair, cutting facial hair and colouring techniques.
An interest in the sector is necessary, experience is desirable but not necessary
Dates and Times
There is an expectation that you will have to spend time out of college to complete some of the assignment work
- Health and Safety
- Client consultation
- Shampoo and condition the hair and scalp
- Style and dress men’s hair
- Cut hair using a variety of barbering techniques
- Shape and trim facial hair
- Colour men’s hair
How will this course be taught? Classroom based? Hands-on? Any specific facilities?
- Practical demonstrations
- One to one practical support
- Groups activities
- Student will work on clients (will need to provide own models for some asssessments)
Portfolio of evidence
Short answer questions
Please note - The college will not be able to provide all the clients for this course, students are expected to be able to provide some of their own
£0 - £2,882
Students are required to provide their own tools and equipment (information will be provided at induction)
Dress code – Suitable black clothing.
Reasons to choose this course
York College have 2 large fully equipped Hairdressing salons, an inviting commercial salon reception, 3 Media Make up workshops and 2 Beauty Therapy salons. Adult learners will have access to professional products and equipment (including Loreal and Eve Taylor) and will also have the opportunity to join in any with any day time extracurricular activities should they wish to do so. This could include competition work and additional product training.
Skills you will develop
Students will also develop communication techniques, interpersonal skills and the ability to work well as a team.
Higher level qualifications as appropriate to individuals needs
Employment in industry in a barber’s shop.
About the course tutors
All our teachers are fully qualified with up to date experience in industry.
If you would like to enrol, you can do so via our Enrol Now page.
If you have any further questions about York College please email firstname.lastname@example.org or call (01904) 770770.
Whilst every effort has been made to ensure the accuracy of the information contained in this webpage, the content is subject to change where necessary.
- Beauty Therapy Hot Stones (1 day) York College Certificate
- Beauty Therapy Level 2 Diploma (VRQ) City and Guilds
- Beauty Therapy Simple Back Massage(1/2 day) York College Certificate
- City & Guilds Level 1 Certificate in Hairdressing
- City & Guilds Level 2 Diploma in Women's Hairdressing
- City & Guilds Level 2 NVQ Diploma in Barbering
- City & Guilds Level 3 VRQ Diploma in Beauty Therapy Techniques
- City and Guilds Level 3 Diploma in Womens Hairdressing
- Level 3 VTCT Certificate in Swedish Massage
- VTCT Level 3 Diploma in Reflexology
- VTCT Level 4 Diploma in Salon Management