Who is this course aimed at?
The Level 2 NVQ Diploma in Barbering is designed for students who work in or wish to pursue a career in barbering/men’s hairdressing. The course will provide you with the necessary skills and knowledge to provide occupational competency as a Barber.
Overview of the course
This qualification allows the student to learn, develop and practice the skills required to provide barbering services, covering elements in health & safety, cutting and styling men’s hair, cutting facial hair and colouring techniques.
There are no formal entry requirements for this course, although an interest in the sector is necessary. Experience is desirable, but not compulsory.
Dates and Course Durations
September (Day) – 20th Sep 2021 – 4th Jul 2022, Mondays, 10am – 6pm, 33 weeks
The course consists of the following mandatory units:
- Health and Safety
- Client Consultation
- Shampoo and Condition the Hair and Scalp
- Style and Dress Men’s Hair
- Cut Hair Using a Variety of Barbering Techniques
- Shape and Trim Facial Hair
- Colour Men’s Hair
The course will be taught via a mixture of practical demonstrations and one-to-one practical support, combined with group activities, online learning and student practical activities – you will be required to provide your own models for some assessments.
Assessments will take place in the following formats:
- Oral questioning
- Portfolio of evidence
- Online test
- Short answer questions
Please note - The college will not be able to provide all the clients for this course, students are expected to be able to provide some of their own
£1672 - £3345
The fees for this course can vary depending on funding eligibility, if you feel you may qualify for funding, please contact the Funding Team.
Students are required to provide their own tools and equipment (information of tool kit requirements will be provided at the time of induction)
As some courses may require additional study from home, you may need access to a PC/laptop and suitable Wi-Fi to access teaching and learning. You will be made aware of any additional study time at the time of enrolment.
Dress code – Suitable black clothing
The College has 2 large fully equipped Hairdressing Salons in which students will work. In addition to this there is a fully functioning Hair and Beauty reception.
Students have access to a fantastic range of College-wide facilities such as the Learning Resource Centre (LRC), study hubs, computer areas with accompanying multi-function printers and helpdesk advice.
Students may choose to broaden their knowledge and experience with Levels 2 and 3 Women’s Hairdressing.
You will be equipped with the skills and knowledge in Barbering to help you progress and develop in employment in industry, in a barber’s shop or salon.
If you would like to enrol, you can do so via our Enrol Now page.
If you have any further questions about York College please email email@example.com or call (01904) 770770.
Whilst every effort has been made to ensure the accuracy of the information contained in this webpage, the content is subject to change where necessary.
- Beauty Therapy Hot Stones (1 day) York College Certificate
- Beauty Therapy Level 2 Diploma (VRQ) City and Guilds
- Beauty Therapy Simple Back Massage(1/2 day) York College Certificate
- City & Guilds Level 1 Award in the Introduction to Hair and Beauty Sector
- City & Guilds Level 1 Certificate in Hairdressing
- City & Guilds Level 2 Diploma in Women's Hairdressing
- City & Guilds Level 2 NVQ Diploma in Barbering
- City & Guilds Level 3 VRQ Diploma in Beauty Therapy Techniques
- City and Guilds Level 3 Diploma in Womens Hairdressing
- Intimate Waxing
- Level 3 VTCT Certificate in Swedish Massage
- VTCT Level 3 Diploma in Reflexology
- VTCT Level 4 Diploma in Salon Management