These four qualifications are suitable for students who wish to explore their interest in the Hair and/or Beauty Sector. Students will gain an insight into the industry and learn useful basic skills and relevant background knowledge. This is an introductory programme and it should be understood that successful completion does not necessarily imply a level of occupational competence.
There are no entry requirements as such. Students will need to be medically and physically able to provide and receive treatments and services included on the course and have a genuine interest in the hair and beauty industry.
Dates and Times
Unit 101 – Introduction to the Hair and Beauty Sector
Unit 102 – Presenting a Professional Image in a Salon
Unit 109 – Provide Basic Manicure
Unit 110 – Provide Basic Pedicure
Unit 108 – Provide Simple Nail Art
Learners will be required to attend all sessions. They will observe demonstrations on the associated skills (depending on certificate subject selected) and will practice treatments under tutor guidance and supervision in the college salons. Learners will generally work on their class peers, but may be invited to bring in models/clients towards the end of the course.
Exams and Assessments
Learners are required to complete written tasks (including simple assignments) to show an understanding of underpinning knowledge. They will also be required to demonstrate practical activities in the college salon environment.
Students will initially complete a Level 1 Certificate in An Introduction to The Hair and Beauty Sector. There are 4 different types of certificate available – Should a student choose to complete the full suite of qualifications, then this will equate to the Diploma in the Introduction to The Hair and Beauty Sector.
Frequently Asked Questions
Students will need to purchase the college uniform and adhere to strict salon dress codes.
They will also be required to purchase a kit.
Students may choose to complete all 4 certificates to gain the diploma. Alternatively, students may wish to progress onto a Level 2 qualification:
- Level 2 Hairdressing
- Level 2 Beauty Therapy
- Level 2 Combined Hairdressing and Beauty Therapy
- Level 2 Media Makeup
If you have any questions about this course or any aspects of studying at York College please email firstname.lastname@example.org or call (01904) 770770.
Whilst every effort has been made to ensure the accuracy of the information contained in this webpage, the content is subject to change where necessary.
- Beauty Therapy - Hot Stone Massage
- City & Guilds Level 1 Certificate Introduction to the Hair & Beauty Sector
- City & Guilds Level 3 Award in Facial Electrical
- City and Guilds Level 2 VRQ Diploma in Beauty Therapy
- City and Guilds Level 3 Diploma in Women's Hairdressing
- City and Guilds Level 3 VRQ Diploma in Beauty Therapy Techniques
- City and Guilds Level 4 Diploma Management Practice & Advanced Techniques in the Hair & Beauty Sector
- VTCT Level 3 Diploma in Body Massage
- York College Certificate - Getting the Best from your Make-up
- York College Certificate - Introduction to Hand and Arm Massage
- York College Certificate - Introduction to Reflexology
- York College Certificate - Looking After Your Hands & Nails
- York College Certificate - Providing a Simple Back Massage