Please see our Entry Requirements page for general entry requirement guidance.
One year, approximately 3 days per week.
What will I study?
This is an introduction to Hairdressing - providing a stepping stone to Level 2 Hairdressing, Beauty Therapy or Hair and Media Make-up.
The programme of study includes:
- Introduction to the Hair Sector
- Presenting a professional image in a salon
- Health and safety in the salon
- Shampooing and conditioning hair
- Plaiting and twisting
- Styling women's and men’s hair
- Colour hair using temporary colour
- Reception duties
- Home study
- Competition work
- Work experience
- English and Maths (if the students hasn't achieved a garde 4 or above)
How will I be assessed?
Practical assessments on colleagues and clients.
Oral/written questions and assignment work.
What could it lead to?
You can progress on to the Level 2 Diploma in Hairdressing, Beauty Therapy or Hair and Media Make-up. Alternatively, you may go straight into a salon as a salon assistant/junior. The course also provides skills transferable to other subject areas.
Need some help?
Whilst every effort has been made to ensure the accuracy of the information contained in this webpage, the content is subject to change where necessary.
- Beauty Therapy VRQ Level 2
- Beauty Therapy VRQ Level 3
- Hair and Media Make-up Diploma Level 2
- Hairdressing VRQ Level 2
- Hairdressing VRQ Level 3
- Introduction to the Beauty and Media Sector VRQ Certificate Level 1 (Foundation Learning)
- Introduction to the Hair Sector NVQ Certificate Level 1 (Foundation Learning)
- Theatrical, Special Effects and Hair and Media Make-up Diploma Level 3