This course will interest students who would like to work within the creative hair and make-up industry. The purpose of this qualification is to develop your skills as a professional hair and make-up artist. Hair and Media Make-up covers creative hair techniques for images including avant-garde, themes and commercial looks.
Please see our Entry Requirements page for general entry requirement guidance.
One year, approximately 3 days a week.
What will I study?
The subjects covered include the theory and practice of:
- Apply airbrush make-up to the face
- Camouflage make-up
- Media make-up
- Fashion and photographic make-up
- Style and fit postiche
- Apply prosthetic pieces and bald caps
- Design and apply face and body art
- Fantasy hair design for performers
- Monitor and maintain health and safety practice in the salon
- Client care and communication in the beauty-related industry
- Competition work
- Work experience
- Demonstrations from visiting speakers
How will I be assessed?
Students will be assessed whilst providing treatments in the salons/studio. Students will be required to provide models for some of these assessments. Assignments and written tests will also be used to test theoretical knowledge and understanding.
What could it lead to?
Progression on to Level 4 or 5 or Foundation Degree.
Career possibilities include employment in the media make-up and hairdressing industries with opportunities for self-employment. Examples could include working in theatre, TV or film (although more experience at Levels 4, 5 and 6 are beneficial for film and television).
Need some help?
Whilst every effort has been made to ensure the accuracy of the information contained in this webpage, the content is subject to change where necessary.
- Beauty Therapy VRQ Level 2
- Beauty Therapy VRQ Level 3
- Hair and Media Make-up Diploma Level 2
- Hairdressing VRQ Level 2
- Hairdressing VRQ Level 3
- Introduction to the Beauty and Media Sector VRQ Certificate Level 1 (Foundation Learning)
- Introduction to the Hair Sector NVQ Certificate Level 1 (Foundation Learning)
- Theatrical, Special Effects and Hair and Media Make-up Diploma Level 3