Please see our Entry Requirements page for general entry requirement guidance.
The study pattern is one year full-time. However, VRQ Level 3 is also available as a part-time option through an apprenticeship (Level 3), where employment in industry is required over four days.
Level 3 is a high level qualification expanding on the basic hairdressing skills of Level 2. This one year course offers the opportunity to gain supervisory skills in a wide range of hairdressing related activities. In addition, advanced practical hairdressing techniques are included, providing further career progression.
What will I study?
To gain the qualification, candidates must complete nine of the available units:
- Monitor and maintain health and safety practice in the salon
- Consultation support for colleagues on hair services
- Cut women’s hair to create a variety of looks
- Style and dress hair using a variety of techniques
- Colour hair to create a variety of looks
- Perm hair to create a variety of looks
- Bridal hair
- Creative hairdressing design skills
- Hair colour correction
You will also take GCSE English and Maths if you have not already achieved a C grade (grade 4) or above.
Four days a week including one/two evenings, as well as:
- Competition work
- Organisational activities
- Work experience
How will I be assessed?
Candidates are assessed during practical sessions. The assessments are graded Pass, Merit and Distinction. You will be required to supply some of the models for assessment. Evidence must be shown in the form of a portfolio. Theory assessment will be carried out online, practical assessment will be continuous and students are required to demonstrate competency in a variety of tasks.
What could it lead to?
Progression opportunities could include specialist hairstylists for home and abroad, educators for manufacturers, assessors, lecturers, demonstrators, exhibition and TV work and specialist hair colourists/fashion styling. Also higher education such as the Foundation Degree in Media Make-up (offered at York College). If you want to progress to higher education you must have GCSE at grade 4 (grade C) or above in English and Maths.
Need some help?
Whilst every effort has been made to ensure the accuracy of the information contained in this webpage, the content is subject to change where necessary.
- Beauty Therapy VRQ Level 2
- Beauty Therapy VRQ Level 3
- Hair and Media Make-up Diploma Level 2
- Hairdressing VRQ Level 2
- Hairdressing VRQ Level 3
- Introduction to the Beauty and Media Sector Diploma Level 1 (Foundation Learning)
- Introduction to the Hair Sector Diploma Level 1 (Foundation Learning)
- Theatrical, Special Effects and Hair and Media Make-up Diploma Level 3