Who is it for and what is the Aim?
This is a two-day training course that gives you the basic understanding of graphic design.
If you’re inquisitive about graphic design this course is for you. It is suitable for complete beginners or those curious to learn more about the graphic arts. Perhaps you’re a professional working and wish to learn more about the design for a career change or you are a business owner and want to understand how to produce professional looking graphics to promote your business and engage your customers more effectively.
Communication is key in connecting with your audience. We will encourage you to push yourself to think and work creatively and communicate your ideas visually. Basic knowledge of software packages such as Adobe or Canva is ideal although not essential, as these are the tools you will be using to finally create your designs.
This course is useful for individuals, small business owners looking to expand their skill set to improve their business marketing collateral and branding. This will also be of value to marketing departments wanting to know more about design and raising the standard of their marketing materials.
What topics will be covered?
- What is graphic design? Looking at logo design, brochure design, flyers, business cards, banners, social media posts, signage and branding
- Introduction to visual language and understanding the key principles of graphic design
- Explore and gain an understanding of typography, fonts, styles and colour modes
- Explore and understand about audience and how to target them
- Understanding basics of resolution, colour modes and printing
- Introduction to the design process; ideas generation, research & development, experimentation and exploration, refinement and finalisation
- Basic introduction to Adobe software and digital design
- Explore and experiment with formats, basic layout and composition
- Produce graphic imagery and outcomes based on learning and skills developed
How you will learn on this course
This course is a hands on practical experience, where you will use both hand generated and digital methods to produce your designs. You will visually explore what design is through self-exploration, presentations, group work and looking at the work of others to be inspired.
How will Delegates Learn?
- You will produce various outcomes, experiment with colour, typography and composition
- You will understand what visual language is and produce designs to attract different audiences
- You will gain experience and develop skills using digital design software
- You will be able to apply design principles to a range of designs for different purposes
This is a fun and practical course designed to help those new to design, be able to produce design outcomes that have purpose and effectively communicate a specific message to a targeted audience.
What you will need?
You will need to bring your own charged laptops, have access to images and business logos, your social media platforms; passwords/user names, logo and any brand guidelines etc.
You will also need to bring a notebook, pencil, paper, ruler and a plain paper.
If you are a business owner please bring with you your brand guidelines, business card, leaflets, brochures or anything from your business that you can show.
Programme Delivery and Costs
The course is delivered over 2 days – 09:30 – 16:30 (attendance is required on both days)
Individual Cost: £175.00
Next Course Date
8th February 2021 - 10th February 2021
Further Information and Booking
If you're interested in this course then please contact us on:
Business Development Unit, York College, Sim Balk Lane, York, YO23 2BB
Tel: 01904 770368 Option 1
- Adobe Illustrator
- Adobe Indesign
- Adobe Photoshop
- Assertiveness (Online)
- Commercial English
- Customer Service & Handling Difficult Situations (Online)
- Customer Service Excellence
- Effective Recruitment (Online)
- Equality, Diversity and Inclusion (Online)
- First Aid for Mental Health Level 2
- First Aid for Mental Health Level 3
- Graphic Design Basics for your Business
- HABC Level 2 Award in Food Safety
- HABC Level 3 Supervising Food Safety
- Intermediate Management and Supervisory Skills
- Introduction Management and Supervisory Skills (Online)
- Introduction to Management & Supervisory Skills
- IOSH - Managing Safely
- Level 1 Award Awareness for First Aid and Mental Health
- Managing Change
- Maximise Your Potential (Online)
- Microsoft Excel Advanced
- Microsoft Excel Advanced (Online)
- Microsoft Excel Intermediate
- Microsoft Excel Intermediate (Online)
- Microsoft Excel Introduction
- Microsoft Excel Introduction (Online)
- Minutes and Agendas
- NEBOSH Level 3 National General Certificate Occupational Health & Safety
- Online Design using Canva and Email Marketing
- Performance Management (Online)
- Presentation Skills
- Professional Writing for Work and Business
- Social Media Basics for your Business
- Workplace Communication (Online)