Each year approximately 1 in 4 people in the UK will experience a mental health condition and at least 1 in 6 employees experience common mental health problems in the workplace. Research has shown that work is the biggest cause of stress which can stop people performing at their best.
Mental health conditions are often hidden due to stigma and fear of discrimination and research has shown that a culture of fear and silence around mental health is costly to employers. The HSE guidance 'First aid needs assessment’ refers to mental health in the workplace.
Whether you are working alone or part of a team, your skills, approach and knowledge of mental health will have real impact on staff’s experience of the workplace. Investing time in developing your understanding of mental health, will help provide a positive and inclusive work environment which will only benefit all members of staff.
Is this seminar for me?
This programme has been specifically designed for employees who have little or no experience of mental health issues within the workplace and would like to have more understanding in this area.
It is aimed at providing learners with the knowledge to recognise suspected mental health conditions, the skills to start a conversation and know how and when to signpost the person towards professional help. Learners will not diagnose or treat mental health conditions as this can only be carried out by healthcare professionals.
Learning Methods Used
This is an interactive 4-hour workshop that will introduce the concepts of mental health and use exercises, group work and practical activities to help you understand how to implement awareness and supportive conversations in your day to day work.
You will get the opportunity to practice and refine your newly acquired skills in a safe environment, beginning the process of applying them to your approach.
Introduction and Welcome
What is First Aid for Mental Health?
- Define mental health
- Stigma surrounding mental health
Identifying mental health conditions
- Factors that can affect a person’s mental health
- The role of a First Aider for mental health
Providing advice and starting a conversation
- Advice that should be provided to a person suffering from a suspected mental health condition
- Contacting the emergency services in respect of first aid for mental health
- Signs of stress
- How stress can be managed
Mental health conditions
- Signs and symptoms for the following mental health conditions:
- Eating disorders
In this 4 hour programme, you will learn the techniques and build the skills that will allow you to:
- Develop a rounded view of what mental health is
- Develop an understanding of how to recognise potential mental health conditions
- Create a positive and safe environment to discuss mental health
- Advise people where to get professional help
- Identify and manage stress
By the end of the course you will have a good understanding of mental health within the workplace, the importance of good communication and the basic principles of how to start a conversation about mental health.
Our trainers bring with them a wealth of experience in the subject. Our approach is professional and relaxed to quickly build confidence. We expect participants to be fully involved in the process, be enthusiastic, work hard and to have open minds to incorporate new learning.
A FAA Level 1 Award in Awareness for First Aid for Mental Health will be issued to the learner, subject to successful assessment. This qualification is valid for three years from the date of achievement. It is strongly recommended that the learner attends annual refresher training. The learner will need to complete the full course again to requalify for a further three years.
Programme Delivery and Costs
4-hour Programme - 9.30am – 2.00pm
£80.00 per delegate
Next Course Dates
Further Information and Booking
If you are interested in this course then please contact us at:
Business Development Unit, York College, Sim Balk Lane, York, YO23 2BB
Tel: 01904 770368 Option 1
- Adobe Illustrator
- Adobe Indesign
- Adobe Photoshop
- Assertiveness (Online)
- Commercial English
- Customer Service & Handling Difficult Situations (Online)
- Customer Service Excellence
- Effective Recruitment (Online)
- Equality, Diversity and Inclusion (Online)
- First Aid for Mental Health Level 2
- First Aid for Mental Health Level 3
- Graphic Design Basics for your Business
- HABC Level 2 Award in Food Safety
- HABC Level 3 Supervising Food Safety
- Intermediate Management and Supervisory Skills
- Introduction Management and Supervisory Skills (Online)
- Introduction to Management & Supervisory Skills
- IOSH - Managing Safely
- Level 1 Award Awareness for First Aid and Mental Health
- Managing Change
- Maximise Your Potential (Online)
- Microsoft Excel Advanced
- Microsoft Excel Advanced (Online)
- Microsoft Excel Intermediate
- Microsoft Excel Intermediate (Online)
- Microsoft Excel Introduction
- Microsoft Excel Introduction (Online)
- Minutes and Agendas
- NEBOSH Level 3 National General Certificate Occupational Health & Safety
- Online Design using Canva and Email Marketing
- Performance Management (Online)
- Presentation Skills
- Professional Writing for Work and Business
- Social Media Basics for your Business
- Workplace Communication (Online)