An employee's relationship with his or her direct manager is the single most important factor in employee engagement and retention. Effective managers are instrumental in creating a committed and productive workforce who enjoy adding value and act as ambassadors for your business.
Whether you are manging one person or a team, your skills, approach and knowledge will have real impact on your employee’s experience of the workplace.
Investing time in developing your management skills helps you to develop your strengths, learn new approaches and increase confidence in your abilities as a manager.
Is this seminar for me?
Whether you are an existing or new manager, if you want to become more effective and achieve more, and you want to improve your management capabilities, then this two-day workshop is for you.
This programme has been specifically designed for people who have little or no experience of supervising or managing others or who have some experience but no formal training in this area.
It will help you to understand what management is, and what it isn’t, how to transition into becoming a manager and how to overcome some of the hurdles that may present. You will explore what strengths you are already bringing to the role, and how to leverage these, as well as identifying areas to work on and the tools to help you do this.
Learning Methods Used
This is an interactive two-day workshop that will introduce the concepts of management and use exercises, group work and practical activities to help you understand how to implement these in your day to day work.
You will get the opportunity to practice and refine your newly acquired skills in a safe environment, beginning the process of applying them to your management approach.
Introduction and Welcome
What is management?
- Management vs Leadership
- The role and responsibilities of a manager/supervison
- Transitioning to the management role
Management vs Delivery
- Time management
- Planning, prioritising and allocating work
- Interpersonal skills and building rapport
- Feedback Skills
- Effective and productive meetings
Management & Leadership Style
- Situational Leadership - Hersey & Blanchard
- Power Base and Leadership – French & Bertram
- Generating motivation, engagement and commitment
Developing the team
- Performance Management & Appraisals
- Development goals
- Coaching and Mentoring
Achieving Business Objectives
- Setting Direction and Goals
- Motivation and commitment
- Maintaining high performance
- Resilience & Wellbeing
Dealing with Issues
- Handling grievances
- Disciplinary issues
- Dealing with conflict
- Develop a personal plan to implement learning back in the workplace
You will learn
In this two-day programme, you will learn the techniques and build the skills that will allow you to:
- Develop a rounded view of the manager’s role
- Develop an appropriate leadership style
- Set a direction for the team
- Coach and support individuals
- Delegate tasks successfully
- Conduct performance appraisals and provide feedback
- Know when and how to run meetings
- Build a strong and committed team
- Deal with conflict and emotion
- Motivate, inspire and gain commitment from your team
By the end of the two days you will have a good understanding of team performance, the importance of good communication and the basic principles of leadership.
Our trainers bring with them a wealth of experience in the subject. Our approach is professional and relaxed to quickly build confidence. We expect participants to be fully involved in the process, be enthusiastic and work hard to change their behaviours and to incorporate new learning.
Programme Delivery and Costs
2 Day Programme (attendance is required on both days).
Next Course Dates
17th - 18th June 2019
2nd-3rd October 2019
23rd – 24th March 2020
Further Information and Booking
If you're interested in this course then please contact us on:
Business Development Unit, York College, Sim Balk Lane, York, YO23 2BB
Tel: 01904 770368 Option 1
- Creating an Engaging & Engaged Workforce
- Effective Minute Taking and Agendas
- Enlightened Leadership Skills
- Essential HR for Managers
- Here today, gone tomorrow: How to keep your business reputation positive
- Highfield Level 2 Award in Food Safety
- Highfield Level 3 Award in Emergency First Aid at Work
- Highfield Level 3 Supervising Food Safety
- How to Grow your Business using Instagram & YouTube
- How to Manage Change
- How to Master Email Marketing
- How to Use Social Media to Improve your Company's Visibility
- How to Use Twitter & Facebook for Business and Grow Sales
- Intermediate Management and Supervisory Skills
- Introduction to Management and Supervisory Skills
- IOSH - Managing Safely
- Level 3 Award in Requirements for Electrical Installation (18th Edition)
- Microsoft Excel - Advanced
- Microsoft Excel - Introductory
- Microsoft Excel Intermediate - Building better Speadsheets (Laptop)
- Microsoft Excel Intermediate - Building better Speadsheets (PC)
- Microsoft Excel Programming
- Microsoft Office 365
- Microsoft SharePoint
- Microsoft Word - Advanced
- Motivation - Getting the Best out of People
- NEBOSH National General Certificate
- Performance Management
- Presentation Skills
- Supporting Mental Health
- Team Building - Getting the Best out of Working Together
- Wood Safety
- Working with Costs and Budgets