This course is designed for candidates who want learn a variety of basic practical skills in Construction Craft trades. It allows candidates to learn, develop and practise the skills required for a number of disciplines and It covers a number of skills which include:
- Health & Safety
- Construction Principles
- Practical assessments in each area
- Theory/underpinning knowledge delivered in a practical context
Some level 1 qualifications will start with an introductory course to build your basic skills.
You should be interested in the Construction industry and/or developing some home DIY skills.
- The ability to work well in a team
- Outstanding commitment & enthusiasm
- Outstanding Attendance & Punctuality
Dates and Times
This course is suitable if you want to gain some basic knowledge of the construction industry as either a general operative or to progress on to the various craft courses delivered by the College. This course will give you a taste of various aspects of the Construction Industry.
The qualifications cover a range of hand-skills, practical tasks and theory lessons consisting of a combination of the following:
- Constructing block walling
- Constructing half brick return corners
- Constructing cavity walls in brickwork and block work
- Constructing one brick walling
Carpentry and Joinery
- Health and safety in construction
- Constructing through mortice and tenon joints
- Constructing angled halving joints
- Constructing bridle joints
- Constructing haunched mortice and tenon joints
- Constructing stub mortice and tenon joints
- Fixing architraves and skirtings
- Constructing and fixing hatch linings
- Fitting locks and latches
- Preparing background surfaces and applying render coats
- Preparing background surfaces and applying finishing coats
- Mixing materials and applying floating coats
- Producing components from moulds
Painting and Decorating
- Painting techniques
- Painting and wallpapering
- Applying decorative effects
- Applying wallpaper to internal and external angles and painting skirting
- Painting a panel door
This course will be delivered by qualified experience tutors who are experts in their disciplines. Teaching will be done in a practical setting which will allow you to spend the time using the tools and resources.
Exams and Assessments
Practical and Theory work will be assessed in line with awarding body requirements.
City & Guilds Level 1 Extended Certificate in Construction Skills.
Frequently Asked Questions
Will I be fully qualified after this qualification?
No you will need to be employed in the industry as an apprentice and complete a Level 2 NVQ Diploma or convert an existing Level 2 Diploma to an NVQ via the completion of an on-site portfolio. This will then need to be monitored and assessed from one of our tutors/assessors.
On successful completion of this course students can progress onto a Level 1/2 Diploma in the following trade areas:
- Carpentry and Joinery
- Painting & Decorating
£0 - £1,645
Courses costing more than £100 can usually be paid for in instalments. Please contact the College for details.
How to Apply
If you wish to study this course you do not need to fill out an application form, simply call our Admissions Team on (01904) 770397 or visit our friendly team of advisors in the InfoZone, located behind the main reception desk.
If you would like to enrol, you can do so via our Enrol Now page.
If you have any further questions about York College please email email@example.com or call (01904) 770770.
Whilst every effort has been made to ensure the accuracy of the information contained in this webpage, the content is subject to change where necessary.
- City & Guilds Level 1 Award in Construction Skills - Bricklaying
- City & Guilds Level 1 Award in Construction Skills - Carpentry / Joinery
- City & Guilds Level 1 Award in Construction Skills - Painting & Decorating
- City & Guilds Level 1 Award in Construction Skills - Plastering
- City & Guilds Level 1 Certificate in Construction Skills - Bricklaying
- City & Guilds Level 1 Certificate in Construction Skills - Carpentry / Joinery
- City & Guilds Level 1 Certificate in Construction Skills - Painting & Decorating
- City & Guilds Level 1 Certificate in Construction Skills - Plastering
- City & Guilds Level 1 Diploma in Construction Skills - Bricklaying
- City & Guilds Level 1 Diploma in Construction Skills - Carpentry / Joinery
- City & Guilds Level 1 Diploma in Construction Skills - Painting & Decorating
- City & Guilds Level 1 Diploma in Construction Skills - Plastering
- City & Guilds Level 1 Diploma in Electrical Installation
- City & Guilds Level 1 Extended Certificate in Construction Skills - Multi-Skill
- City & Guilds Level 2 Diploma in Bricklaying
- City & Guilds Level 2 Diploma in Site Carpentry
- City & Guilds Level 3 Advanced Technical Certificate in Construction & The Built Environment
- City & Guilds Level 3 Certificate for the Inspection & Testing of Electrical Equipment (PAT)
- City and Guilds Level 2 Diploma in Plumbing Studies
- Level 1 Award in Creative Crafts (Furniture Making)
- Level 2 Diploma Painting & Decorating
- Level 2 Diploma Plastering
- Level 3 Refresher Award in Requirements for Electrical Installation
- NCFE Level 2 Certificate in Creative Crafts
- York College Certificate - Stone Carving