This course is designed for candidates who want to make the first steps to work in the Construction industry or expand on existing practical and theory skills and knowledge. It allows candidates to learn, develop and practise the skills required for their chosen discipline. It covers a number of skills which include:
- Health & Safety
- Construction Principles
- Synoptic practical assessments
- Theory/underpinning knowledge
Some level 1 qualifications will start with an introductory course to build your basic skills.
Successful completion of the Level 1 Certificate in Construction Skills – Painting & Decorating and/or an interest in the painting and decorating industry and/or developing some home DIY skills.
- Outstanding commitment & enthusiasm
- Good eye for detail
- Outstanding Attendance & Punctuality
Dates and Times
A combination of the following:
- Principles of building construction, information and communication
- Erecting and dismantling access equipment and working platforms
- Preparing surfaces for decoration
- Applying paint systems by brush and roller to non-complex areas
- Applying foundation and plain papers
- Producing specialist decorative finishes
- Health, safety and welfare in construction
This course will consist of a mixture of Practical and Theory lessons. Your experienced tutors will deliver both the practical skill and the underpinning knowledge to ensure you build confidence and understanding in your chosen discipline.
Exams and Assessments
Continuous assessment with end of year assignments in both practical & theory.
City & Guilds Level 1 Diploma in Painting & Decorating.
Frequently Asked Questions
Will I be fully qualified after this qualification?
No you will need to be employed in the industry as an apprentice and complete a Level 2 NVQ Diploma or convert an existing Level 2 Diploma to an NVQ via the completion of an on-site portfolio. This will then need to be monitored and assessed from one of our tutors/assessors.
On completion of each Diploma, students can progress onto the next level where appropriate.
£0 - £2,583.
Courses costing more than £100 can usually be paid for in instalments. Please contact the College for details.
How to Apply
If you wish to study this course you do not need to fill out an application form, simply call our Admissions Team on (01904) 770397 or visit our friendly team of advisors in the InfoZone, located behind the main reception desk.
If you would like to enrol, you can do so via our Enrol Now page.
If you have any further questions about York College please email email@example.com or call (01904) 770770.
Whilst every effort has been made to ensure the accuracy of the information contained in this webpage, the content is subject to change where necessary.
- City & Guilds Level 1 Award in Construction Skills - Bricklaying
- City & Guilds Level 1 Award in Construction Skills - Carpentry / Joinery
- City & Guilds Level 1 Award in Construction Skills - Painting & Decorating
- City & Guilds Level 1 Award in Construction Skills - Plastering
- City & Guilds Level 1 Certificate in Construction Skills - Bricklaying
- City & Guilds Level 1 Certificate in Construction Skills - Carpentry / Joinery
- City & Guilds Level 1 Certificate in Construction Skills - Painting & Decorating
- City & Guilds Level 1 Certificate in Construction Skills - Plastering
- City & Guilds Level 1 Diploma in Construction Skills - Bricklaying
- City & Guilds Level 1 Diploma in Construction Skills - Carpentry / Joinery
- City & Guilds Level 1 Diploma in Construction Skills - Painting & Decorating
- City & Guilds Level 1 Diploma in Construction Skills - Plastering
- City & Guilds Level 1 Diploma in Electrical Installation
- City & Guilds Level 1 Extended Certificate in Construction Skills - Multi-Skill
- City & Guilds Level 2 Diploma in Bricklaying
- City & Guilds Level 2 Diploma in Site Carpentry
- City & Guilds Level 3 Advanced Technical Certificate in Construction & The Built Environment
- City & Guilds Level 3 Certificate for the Inspection & Testing of Electrical Equipment (PAT)
- City and Guilds Level 2 Diploma in Plumbing Studies
- Level 1 Award in Creative Crafts (Furniture Making)
- Level 2 Diploma Painting & Decorating
- Level 2 Diploma Plastering
- Level 3 Refresher Award in Requirements for Electrical Installation
- NCFE Level 2 Certificate in Creative Crafts
- York College Certificate - Stone Carving