This course is designed for anyone who would like to learn some basic practical skills. The L1 Award is a City & Guilds qualification which focuses on the basic practical principles for the absolute novice to build confidence and underpinning knowledge.
Some Level 1 qualifications will start with an introductory course to build your basic skills.
You should be interested in the painting and decorating industry and/or developing some home DIY skills, then this is the starting point.
- The ability to work well in a team
- Outstanding commitment & enthusiasm
- Interest in learning a new skill
Dates and Times
2nd March 2021 - 19th May 2021, Tuesday and Wednesday evening.
A combination of the following:
- Introduction to the construction industry
- Introduction to health and safety in construction
- Introduction to Painting techniques
- Introduction to Painting and wallpapering
- Introduction to applying decorative effects
- Introduction to applying wallpaper to internal and external angles and painting skirting
- Introduction to Painting a panel door
This course will be delivered by qualified experienced tutors who are experts in their disciplines. Teaching will be done in a practical setting which will allow you to spend the time using the tools and resources.
Exams and Assessments
Practical and Theory work will be assessed in line with awarding body requirements.
City & Guilds Level 1 Award in Construction Skills.
Frequently Asked Questions
Will I be fully qualified after this qualification?
No you will need to be employed in the industry as an apprentice and complete a Level 2 NVQ Diploma or convert an existing Level 2 Diploma to a NVQ via the completion of an on-site portfolio. This will then need to be monitored and assessed from one of our tutors/assessors.
On successful completion of this course students can progress onto a Level 1 Certificate in Construction Skills – Painting & Decorating.
£292 - £585.
Courses costing more than £300 can usually be paid for in instalments. Please contact the College for details.
How to Apply
If you wish to study this course you do not need to fill out an application form, simply call our Admissions Team on (01904) 770397 or visit our friendly team of advisors in the InfoZone, located behind the main reception desk.
If you would like to enrol, you can do so via our Enrol Now page.
If you have any further questions about York College please email firstname.lastname@example.org or call (01904) 770770.
Whilst every effort has been made to ensure the accuracy of the information contained in this webpage, the content is subject to change where necessary.
- City & Guilds Level 1 Award in Construction Skills - Bricklaying
- City & Guilds Level 1 Award in Construction Skills - Carpentry / Joinery
- City & Guilds Level 1 Award in Construction Skills - Painting & Decorating
- City & Guilds Level 1 Extended Certificate in Construction Skills - Multi-Skill
- City and Guilds Level 2 Diploma in Plumbing Studies
- NCFE Level 1 Award in Creative Crafts (Furniture)
- NCFE Level 2 Certificate in Creative Crafts (Furniture)