Applicants for the Level 1 Diploma should ideally have a minimum of 4 Ds at GCSE, which should include English and Maths, and applicants will also be assessed and interviewed prior to acceptance on to the course. Level 1 must be completed before progressing to the Level 2 Diploma.
One year for each level.
What will I study?
Level 1 units include:
- Safe Working Practices in Construction Level 1
- Information, Quantities and Communications Level 1
- Knowledge of Building Construction Level 1
- Basic Block Laying Skills
- Basic Bricklaying Skills
- Basic Cavity Walling
- Contribute to Setting Out Basic Masonry Structures
All students will be expected to work towards completion of a Level 2 English and Maths qualification (as required) alongside this course to enable progression onto the Level 2 Diploma.
Level 2 units include:
- Safe Working Practices in Construction Level 2
- Information, Quantities and Communications Level 2
- Knowledge of Building Construction Level 2
- How to Interpret Working Drawings to Set Out Masonry Structures
- Knowledge of Thin Joint Masonry and Masonry Cladding
- How to Build Solid Walling, Isolates and Attached Piers
- How to Build Cavity Walling Forming Masonry Structures
How will I be assessed?
Assessment in practical skills is continuous with end of year assignments.
What could it lead to?
Students can progress onto an apprenticeship, then higher level courses in Construction and the Built Environment.
- Bricklaying City & Guilds Diploma Level 1
- Carpentry and Joinery City & Guilds Diploma Level 1
- Electrical Installation (Electrician's course) Diploma Level 1
- Electrical Installation (Electrician's course) Diploma Level 2
- Electrical Installations (Buildings and Structures) Diploma Level 3
- Painting and Decorating City & Guilds Diploma Level 1
- Painting and Decorating City & Guilds Technical Certificate Level 2
- Plastering Diplomas Level 1, Level 2 and Level 3
- Plumbing Diploma Level 1
- Step up into Construction
- Stonemasonry Diploma Level 2