Who is this course aimed at?
Aimed at accountants who wish to achieve AAT full membership and professional MAAT status. The accountancy skills developed by studying this qualification will enable you to seek employment with confidence, and/or to progress to study chartered accountancy. The AAT Professional Diploma in Accounting qualification will suit those who:
- have completed the AAT Advanced Diploma in Accounting and who would like to continue to build their accounting skills
- are already working in finance and would like a formal recognition of their skills
- would like to go on to become an AAT full member and/or study for chartered accountant status
- would like to start their own business through the AAT-licensed member in practice (MIP) scheme.
The purpose of the AAT Professional Diploma in Accounting is to enhance the skills developed from the AAT Advanced Diploma in Accounting, enabling students to maximise opportunities in their current or new employment. By studying for this qualification, students will acquire professional accountancy and finance skills that will be useful throughout their careers, including:
- drafting financial statements for limited companies
- knowledge and skills in complex management accounting techniques
- the ability to analyse accounting systems and their associated controls
- knowledge and skills in specialist accountancy and finance subjects.
This flexible course is delivered in partnership with Mindful Education, and combines online learning with face-to-face lessons in the classroom.
Learn more about the York College and Mindful Education partnership.
Please note: classroom attendance is fortnightly.
AAT Level 3 or an accounting degree. Students do not need to be in relevant employment because sufficient evidence is provided within the course. The AAT welcomes individuals with no relevant experience who wish to work in accounting or finance. An application form must be completed and an interview may be required.
You should be over 19. If you have a criminal record or have been made bankrupt, AAT might not accept you as a member making you unable to sit your exams. Please contact AAT directly for more advice.
Dates and Times
The AAT Professional Diploma in Accounting covers high-level accounting and finance topics and tasks. Students will look at and become comfortable with a wide range of financial management skills and applications, and gain competencies in: drafting financial statements for limited companies; recommending accounting systems strategy, and constructing and presenting complex management accounting reports. Students will also learn about specialist areas such as tax, auditing, credit management, and cash and treasury management.
This qualification comprises four mandatory units and two specialist units selected from a choice of five options (420 guided learning hours in total).
The mandatory units are:
- Management Accounting: Budgeting
- Management Accounting: Decision and Control
- Financial Statements of Limited Companies
- Accounting Systems and Controls.
The optional units are:
- Business Tax
- Personal Tax
- External Auditing
- Cash and Treasury Management
- Credit Management.
Study Method - Online and On Campus
We have partnered with Mindful Education to deliver this course through our Online and On Campus model.
Online video lectures are available on demand, and can be viewed from your phone, tablet or computer, meaning you can choose how, when and where you want to study. Each lesson lasts around 45 minutes and is accompanied by animations and motion graphics to bring concepts to life. Exercises, interactive case studies and analytical tools help to enhance the learning experience further.
On campus, you benefit from regular college classes – without having to commit to attending multiple evenings each week. An experienced college tutor will discuss and reinforce what you have learnt during your online study and will be on hand to provide guidance on progress and assessment. Discussion and debate with classmates will help you apply theories to situations you face in the workplace.
This course is assessed through computer-based exams and a synoptic assessment, which draws on and assesses knowledge and understanding from across the qualification.
AAT Professional Diploma in Accounting - Level 4.
Achieve professional AAT Accountant status If you successfully complete this qualification and fulfil our work experience requirements, you can apply for AAT full membership and achieve professional MAAT status.
This qualification can also open up a choice of great careers, as well as providing progress onto higher education. The AAT Professional Diploma in Accountancy can give qualified students exemptions towards all or parts of the UK’s chartered and certified accountancy qualifications. The following chartered bodies offer exemptions to AAT students:
- The Chartered Institute of Public Finance and Accountancy (CIPFA)
- The Institute of Chartered Accountants in England and Wales (ICAEW)
- The Association of Chartered Certified Accountants (ACCA)
- The Chartered Institute of Management Accountants (CIMA)
- The Institute of Chartered Accountants of Scotland (ICAS).
Once qualified, students automatically become AAT affiliate members and, with relevant work experience, will qualify for full AAT membership, which will allow them to use the designatory letters MAAT after their name.
However, the primary and most important outcome of the AAT Professional Diploma in Accounting is that it can lead to a wide variety of well-paid accountancy and finance jobs, some of which include:
- professional accounting technician
- assistant auditor
- assistant management accountant
- commercial analyst
- payroll manager
- senior bookkeeper
- senior financial officer
- assistant financial accountant
- cost accountant
- fixed asset accountant
- indirect tax manager
- payments and billing manager
- senior fund accountant
- senior insolvency administrator
- accounts payable and expenses supervisor
- Tax supervisor
- VAT accountant
If you would like to enrol, you can do so via our Enrol Now page.
If you have any further questions about York College please email email@example.com or call (01904) 770770.
Whilst every effort has been made to ensure the accuracy of the information contained in this webpage, the content is subject to change where necessary.
- AAT (Association of Accounting Technicians) Level 2 Foundation Certificate in Accounting (Online and On Campus)
- AAT (Association of Accounting Technicians) Level 3 Advanced Diploma in Accounting (Online and On Campus)
- AAT Level 2 Certificate in Bookkeeping
- AAT Level 2 Foundation Award in Accounting Software
- AAT Level 3 Advanced Certificate in Bookkeeping
- AAT Level 4 Professional Diploma in Accounting
- CMI Level 3 Diploma in Principles of Management and Leadership
- Distance Learning Level 2 Certificate in Lean Organisation Management Techniques
- Distance Learning Level 2 Certificate in Living in a Fair and Diverse Society
- Distance Learning Level 2 Certificate in Principles in Team Leading
- Distance Learning Level 2 Certificate in Principles of Business Administration
- Distance Learning Level 2 Certificate in Principles of Customer Service
- Distance Learning Level 2 Certificate in Safeguarding, Prevent and British Values
- Distance Learning Level 2 Certificate in Understanding Data Protection and Data Security
- Distance Learning Level 2 Certificate in Understanding Workplace Violence & Harassment
- NCFE Level 3 Diploma Skills for Business - HR