Note regarding Coronavirus (COVID-19): Due to the nature of our Online and On Campus courses, with key concepts being taught online through high-quality video lectures, students are able to continue their studies seamlessly with social distancing in place. Some of the regular ‘On Campus’ lessons can be replaced by remote ‘virtual classroom’ sessions led by college tutors. This flexible approach can be easily adapted to suit government guidance and college policies.
Who is this course aimed at?
This qualification will prepare you for junior and entry-level accounting roles. It delivers a solid foundation in finance administration, covering areas such as double entry bookkeeping to basic costing principles and using accounting software. Most students will start with this qualification. The AAT Foundation Certificate in Accounting is an ideal starting point for anyone wishing to pursue a career in accountancy or finance.
This qualification will prepare you for junior and entry level accounting roles. It delivers a solid foundation in finance administration - covering areas such as double entry bookkeeping to basic costing principles and using accounting software. The purpose of the AAT Foundation Certificate in Accounting is to offer grounding in the core accounting knowledge and skills needed to progress either to employment or to further study. This qualification is suitable for young people who have just left school as well as for adults returning to work after a break or for anyone wishing to change career. The Foundation Certificate is open to those who are working and those who are not currently in employment. This qualification could also help someone who is already working in an entry-level finance role to progress in their career by offering them development and formal recognition of their skills.
You must have 3 GCSEs with Maths and English at Grade C (4) / Functional Skills Level 2 English and Maths. Previous knowledge of accounting or a Level 1 Bookkeeping qualification would be advantageous but not essential.
You should be over 19. If you have a criminal record or have been made bankrupt, AAT might not accept you as a member making you unable to sit your exams. Please contact AAT directly for more advice.
Date and Times
18th January 2021 - 6th December 2021, Tuesday daytime
21st January 2021 -- 9th December 2021, Monday evening
33 weeks, 30 weeks and 35 weeks
The AAT Foundation Certificate in Accounting covers a range of foundation accounting and finance skills in five mandatory units (240 guided learning hours):
- Bookkeeping Transactions
- Bookkeeping Controls
- Elements of Costing
- Using Accounting Software
- Work Effectively in Finance
The purpose of this qualification is to ensure that students are well prepared to progress into a career in business, finance or professional accountancy, or into further education.
All of the units within the qualification are mandatory: Four units are assessed individually in end-of- unit assessments, but this qualification also includes a synoptic assessment that students sat towards the end of the qualification. The synoptic assessment draws on and assesses knowledge and understanding from across the qualification.
Skills you will develop
You will also develop business communications and lifelong learning skills, applying what you learn on the course to the wider industry context. A student completing this qualification will develop accountancy skills in double-entry bookkeeping and basic costing, as well as an understanding of purchase, sales and general ledgers. Students will learn to use accounting software and to develop the professional skills and behaviours needed to contribute effectively in the workplace. Working in accountancy requires good communication skills, IT skills and an understanding of the business environment, all of which are covered by this qualification.
Study Method – Online and On Campus
We have partnered with Mindful Education to deliver this course through our Online and On Campus model.
Online video lectures are available on demand, and can be viewed from your phone, tablet or computer, meaning you can choose how, when and where you want to study. Each lesson lasts around 45 minutes and is accompanied by animations and motion graphics to bring concepts to life. Exercises, interactive case studies and analytical tools help to enhance the learning experience further.
On campus, you benefit from regular college classes – without having to commit to attending multiple evenings each week. An experienced college tutor will discuss and reinforce what you have learnt during your online study and will be on hand to provide guidance on progress and assessment. Discussion and debate with classmates will help you apply theories to situations you face in the workplace.
Learn more about the York College and Mindful Education partnership.
This course is assessed through computer-based exams and assessment, which draws on and assesses knowledge and understanding from across the qualification.
The accountancy and finance knowledge developed in this qualification is also the underpinning knowledge needed for the higher-level accountancy and financial skills developed in the AAT Advanced and Professional Accounting Qualifications:
- AAT Advanced Diploma in Accounting
- AAT Professional Diploma in Accounting
The finance, accountancy, business and communications skills developed in the AAT Foundation Certificate in Accounting can lead to employment as:
- an accounts administrator
- an accounts assistant
- an accounts payable clerk
- a purchase/sales ledger clerk
- a trainee accounting technician
- a trainee finance assistant
£0 - £1,265
If you would like to enrol, you can do so via our Enrol Now page.
If you have any further questions about York College please email email@example.com or call (01904) 770770.
Whilst every effort has been made to ensure the accuracy of the information contained in this webpage, the content is subject to change where necessary.
- AAT (Association of Accounting Technicians) Level 2 Foundation Certificate in Accounting (Online and On Campus)
- AAT (Association of Accounting Technicians) Level 3 Advanced Diploma in Accounting (Online and On Campus)
- AAT Level 2 Certificate in Bookkeeping
- AAT Level 2 Foundation Award in Accounting Software
- AAT Level 3 Advanced Certificate in Bookkeeping
- AAT Level 4 Professional Diploma in Accounting
- CMI Level 3 Diploma in Principles of Management and Leadership
- Distance Learning Level 2 Certificate in Lean Organisation Management Techniques
- Distance Learning Level 2 Certificate in Living in a Fair and Diverse Society
- Distance Learning Level 2 Certificate in Principles in Team Leading
- Distance Learning Level 2 Certificate in Principles of Business Administration
- Distance Learning Level 2 Certificate in Principles of Customer Service
- Distance Learning Level 2 Certificate in Safeguarding, Prevent and British Values
- Distance Learning Level 2 Certificate in Understanding Data Protection and Data Security
- Distance Learning Level 2 Certificate in Understanding Workplace Violence & Harassment
- NCFE Level 3 Diploma Skills for Business - HR