Note regarding Coronavirus (COVID-19): Due to the nature of our Online and On Campus courses, with key concepts being taught online through high-quality video lectures, students are able to continue their studies seamlessly with social distancing in place. Some of the regular ‘On Campus’ lessons can be replaced by remote ‘virtual classroom’ sessions led by college tutors. This flexible approach can be easily adapted to suit government guidance and college policies.
The Accounts/Finance Assistant Apprenticeship is at Level 2 – equivalent to GCSEs – and will equip apprentices with skills and knowledge that can be directly applied in their roles.
This apprenticeship and is ideal for team members who assist with financial tasks and undertake junior accounting duties. Apprentices will learn foundation bookkeeping and accounting software skills.
This flexible apprenticeship is delivered in partnership with Mindful Education, and combines online learning with face-to-face lessons in the classroom.
Please note: classroom attendance is one evening/day per week/fortnight during term time. The duration of the apprenticeship will be 12-14 months.
What will I learn?
This apprenticeship standard is at Level 2. The structure allows students to achieve the AAT (Association of Accounting Technicians) Foundation Certificate in Accounting as their on-programme learning. This internationally recognised AAT qualification enables those working in accounting or those looking to pursue accountancy as a career to gain knowledge, practical experience and the all-important certification often sought by employers.
The Level 2 apprenticeship covers a range of key areas, including:
- Bookkeeping transactions
- Bookkeeping Controls
- Using Accounting Software
- Elements of Costing
- Work effectively in Finance
You will also develop business communications and lifelong learning skills, applying what you learn on the course to the wider industry context.
Study Method – Online and On Campus
We have partnered with Mindful Education to deliver this apprenticeship through our Online and On Campus model. Apprentices will attend college once every two weeks and will study online materials during allotted time at work.
Online lessons can be accessed at any time, using a mobile, tablet or desktop - meaning apprentices can fit their study around work commitments, minimising disruption in the workplace. Each lesson lasts around 45 minutes and is accompanied by animations and motion graphics to bring concepts to life. Exercises, interactive case studies and analytical tools help to enhance the learning experience further.
On campus, apprentices benefit from face-to-face classes at college with an experienced tutor. A combination of classroom-based lessons, group exercises and discussion encourage apprentices to apply theory to real-life workplace situations.
This modern, flexible approach to apprenticeship training empowers learners, minimises disruption to employers, and delivers tangible results in the workplace.
Learn more about the York College and Mindful Education partnership.
How will I be assessed?
To complete the Accounts/Finance Assistant Apprenticeship, apprentices will be expected to complete:
- A synoptic end-test covering the knowledge and skills gained throughout the on-programme stage and detailed in the standard.
- A portfolio and reflective discussion which will comprise a range of evidence produced in the work-place to show that the Apprentice has met the knowledge, skills and behaviours detailed in the standard. The reflective discussion will be a structured interview to examine this evidence and the learner journey in more detail.
There are no formal entry requirements for this apprenticeship. Previous knowledge of accounting or a Level 1 Bookkeeping qualification would be advantageous but not essential. Apprentices will need to be employed in a relevant finance, bookkeeping or accounting role.
On successful completion of this course, you can progress to higher levels of the AAT Accounting Qualifications via apprenticeship training or through part-time courses (Level 3 and then on to Level 4).
The skills and knowledge you will gain throughout this qualification will qualify you for roles including Accounts Assistant, Finance Assistant, Credit Control Assistant or Purchase Ledger Clerk.
Classes will be held at York College.
Levy paying employers can access levy funds to pay for this programme, and our blended learning model can contribute to the 20% off-the-job training requirement.
- AAT (Association of Accounting Technicians) Assistant Accounting Apprenticeship Level 3 (Online and On Campus Apprenticeship)
- Accounts/Finance Assistant Apprenticeship AAT Level 2 (Online and On Campus)
- Business Admin Apprenticeship Level 3
- Finance Assistant Level 2 Apprenticeship
- Human Resources Support Apprenticeship Level 3
- Professional Accounts Tax Technician Apprenticeship Level 4
- Team Leader / Supervisor Apprenticeship Level 3
- Team Leader/Supervisor Apprenticeship - CMI Level 3 (Online and On Campus)