This apprenticeship is aimed at those working towards leading or supervising teams and/or projects, and achieving operational or departmental goals and objectives, as part of the delivery of the organisation’s strategy. A Team Leader/Supervisor is a first line management role, with operational/project responsibilities or responsibility for managing a team to deliver a clearly defined outcome. Key responsibilities are likely to include supporting, managing and developing team members, managing projects, planning and monitoring workloads and resources, delivering operational plans, resolving problems, and building relationships both internally and externally.
Roles/occupations may include: Supervisor, Team Leader, Project Officer, Shift Supervisor, Foreperson, and Shift Manager.
Throughout the duration of this apprenticeship you will be developing the skills, knowledge and behaviours required of a Team Leader. These will include:
- Interpersonal excellence – managing people and developing relationships which will include leading and managing people, building relationships and understanding different forms of communication.
- Operational performance – delivering results which will include implementing operational/team plans and managing resources, understanding project lifecycle and roles and financial management to monitor budgets and ensure costs do not overrun.
- Personal effectiveness – which will include use of time management techniques to manage workload and pressure, effective problem solving and applying learning from feedback received.
- Behaviours developed and exhibited in the workplace will include taking responsibility and professionalism.
End Point Assessment
Successful achievement of the end-point assessment will lead to final certification of the apprenticeship. The assessment, with an independent assessor, will comprise of:
- Knowledge test
- Structured Competency Based Interview
- Assessment of portfolio of evidence
- Professional Discussion relating to Continuing Professional Development
Method of delivery
Delivery will be in partnership with employers and adopt a blended approach of on and off the job training and professional development. Apprentices will receive training and mentoring in the workplace and knowledge, skills and behaviour development at York College through classroom and research based activities.
Employers will set their own entry requirements, but it is expected that the individual will be working in a supervisory role within the industry to start on this apprenticeship standard. Ideally candidates will have Maths and English at grade C/4 or above. If candidates do not have these they will have to achieve the Level 2 Functional Skills in Maths and English before they can achieve take the end point assessment.
This apprenticeship takes 18 months.
On completion, apprentices may choose to register as Associate members with the Chartered Management Institute and/or the Institute of Leadership & Management, to support their professional career development and progression.
- Accounting Apprenticeship Level 2
- Assistant Accountant Apprenticeship Level 3
- Business Admin Apprenticeship Level 3
- Customer Service Practitioner Apprenticeship Level 2
- Customer Service Practitioner Apprenticeship Level 3
- Operations Departmental Manager Apprenticeship Level 5
- Professional Accounts Tax Technician Apprenticeship Level 4
- Team Leader / Supervisor Apprenticeship Level 3