A team leader/supervisor is a first line management role, with operational/project responsibilities or responsibility for managing a team or discrete project to deliver a clearly defined outcome. They provide direction, instructions and guidance to ensure the achievement of set goals. Working in the private, public or third sector and in all sizes of organisation, specific responsibilities will vary, but the knowledge, skills and behaviours needed will be the same whatever the role.
The apprenticeship covers a wide range of business management skills and knowledge, including organisational performance, interpersonal skills and personal effectiveness.
- Principles of Management and Leadership
- Managing a Team to Achieve Results
- Building Stakeholder Relationships Using Effective Communication
- Contributing to the Delivery of a Project
- Managing Daily Activities to Achieve Results
- Managing Budgets and Resources
- Managing Data and Information
- Managing Own Personal and Professional Development
Typical Job roles
Key responsibilities are likely to include supporting, managing and developing team members, managing projects, planning and monitoring workloads and resources, delivering operational plans, resolving problems, and building relationships internally and externally. Roles/Occupations may include: Supervisor, Team Leader, Project Officer, Shift Supervisor, Foreperson, and Shift Manager.
Candidates will usually have 5 GCSEs at grade C/4 (or equivalent) - including English and maths. Employers may set their own specific entry requirements in addition to York College.
Level 3 Team Leader/Supervisor Apprenticeship.
Level 3 Diploma in Principles of Leadership & Management.
Functional skills at level 2 or equivalent (if applicable).
Students with international qualifications will need to have them converted, for which there will be a cost, through the national agency for the recognition and comparison of international qualifications and skills (NARIC) website. This is required to confirm they are comparable to UK qualifications at the start of the programme in readiness for gateway and the end point assessment
Method of Delivery
Delivery will be in partnership with employers and will adopt a blended learning approach combining online learning and face-to-face lessons. Online lessons can be accessed at any time using a mobile, tablet or desktop. Apprentices receive training and mentoring in the workplace and knowledge, skills and behaviour development at York College through a combination of classroom based lessons, group exercises and discussions. Apprentices attend College one day per month and will study online materials during allotted time at work.
End Point Assessment
Apprentices must pass the end-point assessment in order to achieve the apprenticeship certificate which comprises of 4 components:
- Assessment of knowledge through a test using scenarios, questions and responses
- Assessment of competency through competency based interview
- Assessment of portfolio of evidence which is collated during work/study time
- Continuing Professional Development Log reviewed and professional discussion/question and answer session
All components will need to be passed in order for the Apprentice to be awarded the Apprenticeship.
On successful completion of the apprenticeship, there is an opportunity to study CMI courses at level 5 and up to level 8. Apprentices may choose to register as Associate members with the Chartered Management Institute and/or the Institute of Leadership & Management, to support their professional career development and progression.
- AAT (Association of Accounting Technicians) Assistant Accounting Apprenticeship Level 3 (Online and On Campus Apprenticeship)
- Accounts/Finance Assistant Apprenticeship AAT Level 2 (Online and On Campus)
- Business Admin Apprenticeship Level 3
- Finance Assistant Level 2 Apprenticeship
- Human Resources Support Apprenticeship Level 3
- Professional Accounts Tax Technician Apprenticeship Level 4
- Team Leader / Supervisor Apprenticeship Level 3
- Team Leader/Supervisor Apprenticeship - CMI Level 3 (Online and On Campus)